A question regarding battery life and two hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahbdesign, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ahbdesign macrumors member

I'm in the process of buying a new Mac and if I bought a notebook, I would install a SSD and remove the optical drive to sit another hard drive.

Does this impact battery life at all? Since the notebook is running two hard drives? Are there any tests been done to record the difference in battery life?

2. simsaladimbamba

I have that configuration on my 2009 17" MBP and it could get 5 to 6 hours of battery life with just one HDD or SSD, but since having an SSD and HDD inside, I get 3 to 4 hours of battery life.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It will likely impact battery life to some degree. One reason is most users don't access an optical drive as often as they would access a HDD/SDD. How much impact depends on which drive you get, how much you access it, etc. I doubt it would have as much impact as your screen brightness and other factors, however. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. simsaladimbamba

Nooooooooooooooooooo, I ****ing forget to put in that ****ing link. Shote, ahem, *****. Are stars censored too?