A question to ask yourself every morning...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Apr 23, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

"Think of what you were doing exactly a year ago. How are you different? How are you a better person?"

This is an exercise I've been doing recently. If you say no to those questions, then you need to change something.

Since 4.23.06, I have become more aware of people's feelings, and I have a new, positive perspective on life. I'm a much more positive person in general. Oh, and I've become a huge Scrubs fan.

Ask this to yourself. Feel free to share. It's a good exercise.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Since 4.23.06, I've gained many amazing friends. I'm now friends again with my best friend who has been astranged for some time.
    I'm scared of the future now and want to apply the brakes. I'm a MUCH better writer.:D
    I've learned to just say "Hi" to people you normally wouldn't because it could change their views on you and the people around you.

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Last year I was basically doin' the same thing I'm doing now. Goin' to school, but I'm much more comfortable in my own skin. I've learned a lot about my self and my limits, mostly through school. I'd like to believe I am a better person but I'd say I don't put forth the effort to make myself better.

I've also started to watch a lot of Scrubs. I've never watched an episode before Comedy Central got it.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I agree. If you're answering open-ended questions with "no," then something does need to change. :)

5. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

wow, what a really insiteful thread. at first i thought maybe there would be some smart-assed comments, but this is really nice.

i often think about what i've acomplished in the last year, and i often think there are many things i would like to do but haven't. i think that sometimes it is a good idea to reflect on what i have done and not dwell on what i haven't.

thanks, it's good to stop and smell the roses once in a while.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I've thought about starting a daily log where I write out everything that happened today and all my feelings and thoughts, hopes fears, and be able to look at it a year from now, which I started to do once, but I don't always have the time for it.

Oh, and on 4.23.06, I was on a vacation in Singapore. Still wish I was there, and want to go back.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well...it's 4.24 now, so I guess I'll check my diary..

Ah, Apperantly I had a fight with my best friend. We have since resolved that conflict.:)

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow, that's certainly a positive, non-cynical view of life. :)

Perhaps there are things you need to change in your life.

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Great thread! :)

A year ago I was in a job that I absolutely hated and I hardly ever got to see my wife. Also our son was only four months old so home life was still extremely stressful and wonderful at the same time.

Now for the first time in my life I have a job that I absolutely love, and because my schedule is whatever I want it to be, I get to be with my family all the time. And now our son is 16 months old and is an absolute blast! :D

The power of positive thinking is an amazing thing. We must always focus on the "haves" and not the "have nots".

It's really hard to take a step forward when you're always looking back.

Scrubs is awesome! I've been a fan since the pilot, and now have seasons 1-4 on DVD, and I'll have season 5 on May 22nd!

11. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Perhaps so dear chap.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Quite a lot has happened in the last year. Since this time last year I have graduated from university and moved into a very cushy graduate job. This has allowed me to move out of my student hovel into my beautiful new apartment. For the first time I am living on my own (no housemates) and I have to say that I do prefer it, although some people prefer the other way. Having a steady job with a future has definitely made me feel more settled. In the past four years since I moved to Manchester this has been the first one where I really thought of it as my home.

On a more spiritual/emotional front I am sure a lot has changed and I feel better about life than I did a year ago (not that I was particularly negative back then) but I can't really put my finger on anything specific that has helped that.

On the whole I have had a very good year and thinking back on how nice it has been has cheered me up a bit :)

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Also, i read that when you first wake up to put a smile on like move your eyes. Its supposed to help cope with stress. I'm too tired in the morning and usually forget, but i do when i can.

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I hadn't even seen half a minute of it until last June when my sister, who is applying to med school, had her wisdom teeth removed and she bought season one to watch while she was recovering. I even called 916-CALL-TURK and talked to them for twenty minutes, including the Todd (Rob Maschio) and Carla (Judy Reyes)! What's even better is that they sent me a care package of a Scrubs blanket, socks, and the half-red shoes from my favorite episode, My Way Home!!!! It's so cool! You have to call them.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Scrubs is amazing, whether its the amazing acting of Zach Braff or the beauty of Sarah Chalke. :D

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I have my own question that I ask myself every morning:

"Do I have time to push snooze?"

usually followed by

"Do I have time to push snooze again?"

17. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Kind of off topic mcarnes, but I can't tell what your avatar/icon is. Is it a shrine with the sun rising behind it, or is it something more suggestive? Reminds me of the A-style clothing brand in Italy.

http://www.astyle.it/

Anyways...hope your *next* year is better. Eventually, the crap stuff dissappates a bit...I think.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Basicly the same...a little more off the wall, but its for the better. Recently I've been trying to be nice, and not yell as much, and I think its working :) I now respond with crazy off the wall comments, and it basicly works out better

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Are you kidding me? I don't even remember what I did exactly 1 week ago, never mind 1 year.
    I could be a bit more general. Around this time last year I was with a very annoying girl. We split up over the summer, and I wasn't too hurt. I felt it was for the better (she was driving me bonkers!). So from that expierience I have learned to be a bit more choosey when it comes to girls.
    I feel it has made me a better person. Like I was before I started going out with that girl.

20. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

im a better person, but once you hit highschool like i did the year just flew so fast, its sorta sad b/c childhood is diminishing everyday, in 2 years ill have to be thinkin what college togo to.

it would be really cool to come back to this post in a year and see how ive changed

21. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Lessee, a year ago I was focusing on surf, sex, and sleep... yep, nothing's changed. Well, on second thought I have gotten better at all those things because I've had a year more practise! I am improving!:D

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've come a pretty long way in my real life since last year. Thankfully I haven't progressed any amount when it comes to actual maturity, which is why I would argue a better question to ask each morning is "who are you and do you want breakfast?"

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Two years ago I had just broken up with my girlfriend, was about to lose my job, was renting a house, and was battling depression.
    A year ago I was planning a wedding (to my best friend), living with my parents while trying to buy a house, starting a new job, and had come a long way in dealing with my depression.
    Now I am still getting into my job, still trying to remodel my house, and still loving my wife:) .

Some days I start to feel a little overwhelmed and frustrated, but all I have to do is look back on the last couple years and see how far I have come.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Last year this time I was in place I didn't want to be....This year I'm in a place I don't mind being in:)

Bless

25. user13 macrumors regular

user13

A year ago this moment I was preparing myself for an exam, I think. And now I'm not a student already. I have got a job, I'm earning money. I wonder what will happen in another year