Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
This isn't really a comparison, it's just a quick overview of the watch for a couple of days, the good and bad.

Heart Rate: I did a run with both watches. On the Fenix I had Stryd connected and a Wahoo forearm strap. The pulse rate between the two was basically the same for the entirety, I think one beat higher on the AW for my max heart rate. The average was the same. So, I think the heart rate accuracy is still good, certainly better than an unaided Fenix.

GPS: It seems to record the tracks a bit more accurately, meaning I don't run down the middle of the road and through back yards, but it still has the same distance problems. I did a 5K (3.12 miles) and the AW recorded 3.19. This is exactly what prior versions have done and I have pretty good faith in the Fenix in the area I tested it.

Battery: It seems better but no hard metrics. I'd probably put it near the 4 and with faster charging so it's an improvement. It also doesn't seem to eat battery on GPS as badly as I remember but I'd have to take it to 100% and test, which I probably won't do in the next few days.

Fit: I'm including this because it seems like the backside is bigger than before making the watch less comfortable. It seems like it digs in more than it used to or is harder or something. I've wound up loosening the band to the point that it's too loose to use for brief periods of time.

PulseOx: This seems like a good implementation, and reliably produces a result something the Fenix doesn't do, but it needs better data transparency. I went low 90's while sleeping but I can't figure out if I did it briefly (probably), or all night. It seems fairly accurate during the day, and runs a bit higher than the Fenix which I expected based on finger readings I've had done.

No conclusions. I'll probably keep it, or for some reason, I seem to want a SS gold one this time so maybe I'll get that. I'd like to try it with cell service and it looks like I can do that without burying myself in fees if I'm lucky.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Thanks for the write-up. I’m a competitive runner and have tried every AW so far. I acknowledge (as you seem to) that there are many ways the AW lags behind Garmin (I’m currently using the FR245), but also some ways it outshines it. I think out of morbid curiosity, if nothing else, I’ll likely try the S6 (in SS, as always, despite that awful resale)... haven’t been able to pull the trigger yet.

Wondering - what are these ways to avoid cell fees?!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wondering - what are these ways to avoid cell fees?!

Simple - don't set up a cell plan. It's not required.(*)

You can also just try out the cell service for a couple months and see if you like it - it's a no-commit thing and you can cancel if you don't like it. All easily done from the phone, at least on AT&T and TMobile it has been.

Cost varies by carrier. I'm on T-Mobile and it's a flat $10/mo which I find to be worth it for various things (none being the receipt of calls).

(*) exception being if you get a special discount deal buying from a cell carrier where you're required to keep a plan active, but that's a special case not applicable to most.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I went low 90's while sleeping but I can't figure out if I did it briefly (probably), or all night.

Go to the health app on your phone, select “Show all health data”, select “Blood Oxygen”, scroll down to the bottom and select “Show All Data”. Then scroll through the samples and see when and how many were low numbers.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Simple - don't set up a cell plan. It's not required.(*)

You can also just try out the cell service for a couple months and see if you like it - it's a no-commit thing and you can cancel if you don't like it. All easily done from the phone, at least on AT&T and TMobile it has been.

Cost varies by carrier. I'm on T-Mobile and it's a flat $10/mo which I find to be worth it for various things (none being the receipt of calls).

(*) exception being if you get a special discount deal buying from a cell carrier where you're required to keep a plan active, but that's a special case not applicable to most.

That’s true, I suppose, but not really relevant to what OP said (as I understood it). He or she said, “I'd like to try it with cell service and it looks like I can do that without burying myself in fees if I'm lucky.”

Sorry for any confusion!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That’s true, I suppose, but not really relevant to what OP said (as I understood it). He or she said, “I'd like to try it with cell service and it looks like I can do that without burying myself in fees if I'm lucky.”

Sorry for any confusion!

Ah, I misunderstood then.

If someone can show how to gain cell service on the watch without incurring fees, I'm all ears.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Go to the health app on your phone, select “Show all health data”, select “Blood Oxygen”, scroll down to the bottom and select “Show All Data”. Then scroll through the samples and see when and how many were low numbers.

Thanks!

I didn't see that, all the way down there. I was hitting "Show More Data".

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Ah, I misunderstood then.

If someone can show how to gain cell service on the watch without incurring fees, I'm all ears.

There's no way around fees, I'm just after normal $10 fees. I probably confused things with the way I wrote that.

So, the major providers force you onto one of their main plans, which can be $30 higher than the pay as you go plans. Then, you get taxes, plus what's usually a ******** fee of a couple of dollars, like they do with Sport fees on the cable plans, so it can add another $30 to $50 to that $10 monthly fee. Or, $15/mo for the watch plan, plus another $30 beyond their cheapest plans.

If you have Xfinity, they offer a $10 plan, if you attach your phone (the MVNO fees are pretty normal) so it will run $55ish to have MVNO Verizon with no data limits (until you go above some arbitrary limit). There are other 3rd party MVNO's that are in the same range.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
There's no way around fees, I'm just after normal $10 fees. I probably confused things with the way I wrote that.

So, the major providers force you onto one of their main plans, which can be $30 higher than the pay as you go plans. Then, you get taxes, plus what's usually a ******** fee of a couple of dollars, like they do with Sport fees on the cable plans, so it can add another $30 to $50 to that $10 monthly fee. Or, $15/mo for the watch plan, plus another $30 beyond their cheapest plans.

If you have Xfinity, they offer a $10 plan, if you attach your phone (the MVNO fees are pretty normal) so it will run $55ish to have MVNO Verizon with no data limits (until you go above some arbitrary limit). There are other 3rd party MVNO's that are in the same range.

Yes, generally the carriers require being on a postpaid plan in order to add a watch.

As for fees, that varies. My wife and I are on a T-Mobile Magenta 55+ postpaid plan for which we pay a flat $70/month for unlimited voice/text/data. My Apple Watch line is an additional (flat) $10/month, for a total bill of $80/mo. No taxes or fees. Where we use our phones the TMO service is great; formerly on AT&T and we're seeing the same coverage at far less expense. YMMV of course.

I have seen hints of some carriers now allowing standalone Apple Watch plans but have not dug into the matter. I believe it is related to the new family thing with adding a watch more peripherally associated with the iphone. I could be misunderstanding something too, but may be worth researching.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Wanted to follow up on this, briefly, specifically, about the battery.

Did a longer run and battery use was about the same as before 15% / hour with Overcast and WorkOutDoors.

But here’s the thing, regular battery use is way, way better. So, today I had it full charged at 7AM. I went for a short walk, 15 minutes, recorded in the workout app. I recorded 6 very quick weight sessions, no more than 20 minutes combined and it’s 2:30 at 88% (2% / hour). No way I got close to that with the S5.

Something is much better this time out.

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.