A Quick question about Jailbreaking with QuickPWN

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Haephestos, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Haephestos macrumors regular

If i jailbreak 2.2.1 with QuickPWN will I loose all of my data on the phone?

2. tylertech macrumors regular

No. However I would backup just in case. Sometimes QuickPWN doesn't like it with all your files on your phone. Either way, if anything goes wrong, you can just restore all of your data later. However if everything does go well, you won't loose anything!

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

i think if you backup before you jailbreak then you shouldnt loose data, thats what i think i have jailbroken and restored from a backup and got all my contacts back etc...

4. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply, anybody know what to do? Would this tut work? I was worried that it would get rid of it because it requires you to restore.

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

yes but when you restore itunes will ask you if you want to set up as a new phone or restore from a backup choose restore from a backup and then it will load all your contacts and settings/boomarks

6. tylertech macrumors regular

Make sure you Sync your iPhone first, and make sure that iTunes goes though the Backup process. Then just do the tutorial. After the process, just Restore from your backup, and re-Sync everything. Everything will be there as if nothing happened!

7. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

So when it says restore in the tut, I use my backup?

8. tylertech macrumors regular

The first restore is actually just to clean everything out. I actually just did the process over a while ago. I synced my iPhone to back it up. I then restored my iPhone so that it was fully reset. Then I used QuickPWN.

Restore first to clear everything (after backing up) then jailbreak.
    After jailbreaking, I opened up iTunes, and choose restore. After a few moments, iTunes will automatically select the latest backup for you. This backup contains your text messages, call logs, contacts, Safari bookmarks, etc.
    After you are fully backed up, the rest is done though another Sync. Syncing will finish the process by adding back all of your apps, music, etc.

However, I would make sure that after you sync before you do the whole process, in iTunes go to Edit>Preferences>Devices. Make sure that it actually did backup. Once your sure that you're backed up, go ahead and restore and start the jailbreak process!

9. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

But, doesn't that mean that you can Backup and then JB straight away to not loose apps. Also, I thought the backup saves your apps.

10. tylertech macrumors regular

Backup only backs up your personal data. All of your apps are saved on your computer, and will sync whenever you Sync after.

My last post was confusing. Let me set it like this:

1. Before you do anything, sync you iPhone with iTunes to create a backup. After a full sync, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices. Make sure that a backup was actually made.

2. Follow the tutorial. When it says to "Restore" and the beginning, they want you to clear everything off the phone. This is so that any of your apps and things don't mess with the Jailbreak process. On iTunes, click Restore, and after a few moments, when it asks to restore from a backup, DO NOT choose your backup.

3. Immediately following the restore, your iPhone should be as if you just got it. Follow the rest of the tutorial.

4. At the very end of the Jailbreak process, you should end up with "Cydia" and/or "Installer" on your iPhone. Your iPhone is jailbroken!

5. Open up iTunes and click "Restore" again. This time, after it a few moments, choose your last backup.

6. After your phone is backed up, Sync as normal.

Sync - Puts all your music, apps, media, etc.
    Backup - Puts back all of your personal data.

11. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok. I get it now! But, i thought the backup saved your savegame data as well.

12. tylertech macrumors regular

It should, because I just checked my all of my re-installed apps after the backup and all my saves were on there.

13. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

14. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

15. tylertech macrumors regular

If what I've read is right, iTunes creates multiple backups as one backup file. So there doesn't seem to be multiple files to just save. However you can do multiple backups by right clicking on your iPhone's name in the left pane in iTunes and selecting "Backup". This will create multiple and you can restore to any of them should one be bad. (You are able to choose from a list.)

16. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

But I mean, can I find the backup file in Windows Explorer, and then make a copy of it?

17. tylertech macrumors regular

I haven't actually tried this, but check out this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=648373&highlight=backup+iphone+location

It seems that the backups are mainly located at
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I had 2 folders in that folder, which makes sense as I have made two backups for my iPhone. I believe you would just save those folders (each folder being one backup). If anything goes wrong, replace the folders and it will appear in the list of available backups to restore to in iTunes.

18. Haephestos thread starter macrumors regular

19. tylertech macrumors regular

No problem! I'm bored and i'm learning new stuff!