A quick question on iPhoto, advice please...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevearm, Sep 26, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

What is the benefit of using the "Copy photos to iPhoto library" setting in the preferences pane in iPhoto?

As I understand it, that will make duplicates of every photo I decide to import. Which means that when using spotlight, say I do a search for 'holiday.jpg', won't there end up being two different results, the original file and the identical iPhoto version?

I'm basically after advice, wouldn't it make more sense to simply let it reference the files on my hard disk rather than copy them over?

What happens when I move or rename a file, will there then be a broken link in iPhoto when it can't find the file?

Thanks any help would be appreciated

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I think the advantage is that your pictures will all be in one place on your drive instead of spread out wherever you imported them from. Then you would delete them from the source.

3. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

If you want to be able to have (easier) access to your photos within Finder, then uncheck "Copy photos to iPhoto library". Otherwise, the choice is up to you.

4. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I've decided to uncheck the 'Copy to iPhoto library' and started adding all my photos etc

I'm a little worried about something though. If I change computers, and want to move my library across... will all the ratings, event descriptions etc be saved and transferred across? Assuming I keep the folder structure identical?

5. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

iPhoto keeps the Libraries the same regardless if you have "Copy to iPhoto library" selected or not.