A quick question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TomCondon, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TomCondon macrumors regular

Hello, I've been seeing a lot of people AAALL over the internet complaining, and complaining about how heavy the iPad is to hold and that you need "strong forearms", my question is, do I need to go on a weight training course before I get my iPad? or is this constant bitching just... bitching?

P.S - Also just wondering why all the tech websites, well a lot of them slated the iPad a while before it was released without actually using it? It seemed to receive overwhelmingly bad reviews until it came out.

thanks

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It weighs 1.5 pounds. Up to you whether that is heavy.

3. adbe macrumors 6502a

Dunno. If people are saying it hurt their arms, I guess it's hurting their arms. Personally, I don't make a habit of holding anything in an elevated position for hours at a time, no matter what the weight. Try holding your arm fully extended in front of you with a sweatshirt hanging from your wrist.
    Give it quarter of an hour and tell me if a sweatshirt is too heavy.

In general, some part of the pad will normally be leaning against something so the weight is negligible. I've read full novels with mine in pretty much one sitting, and have no complaints.

It is what it is. There's nothing life altering about the iPad. It's a nice content consumption device that is a chunk more arm chair friendly than a laptop, has a nicer screen than most netbooks, and can turn its hand adequately enough to some general purpose computing at a push.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Yeah you better hit the gym pal, you want to focus on bicep curls and wrist curls. 3 sets of 15 reps should do you well.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

6. zeuxidamas macrumors newbie

zeuxidamas

Depends on the forearm in question...

...but in general what can make it get heavy is holding it in the same position for too long without it leaning against anything. Put it to use, you'll figure out the right ergonomic paradigm that suits your own style and strength. When I use mine camped out on the couch, I alternate in landscape mode between holding it with two hands and cradling it between my thumb and index finger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I am using it standing up, I rotate between landscape and portrait just because of the different apps I am using , that my hand is never in one position long enough to get overly tired.
    - Vr/Zeuxidamas..>>

7. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I find that while the iPad isn't that heavy, it's not light as a feather either. Anything you hold upright, even if it's a pencil will eventually lead to fatigue. Kind of like painting the ceiling. The only problem I have with holding the iPad is the Apple iPad case has "pinched seams", and feels like the sides cut into your hand after a while. I find myself holding the iPad on the left side, with the iPad itself resting on something, whether a desk, my lap or bed.

I recommend holding the iPad so that the inside of your arm going across the width of the back of the iPad, with the iPad resting comfortably on your arm. Kind of like you're carrying a book, then holding it up to see the book cover.

8. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's extremely light compared to a netbook or a small laptop, anything gets to feel heavy if you hold it in the same position for a long time

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

+1
    I would add some cardio also, when you strap that thing to your arm for a good run it can take some getting used too.

10. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i was told that the mbp 15" was heavy. at times i carry up to 85% of my body weight, on my back! yes i have a bad back but still camping with a 50 pound pack isnt extreme. i think more people should become campers to appreciate what is really light and what IS heavy.

11. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Consumption Only?

Consumption Device? Here's a guy who has a gallery showing his creations made on the iPhone and iPad. These devices allowed him to create art that he couldn't easily have done otherwise - he got the morning light on flowers in his bedroom and was able to paint without dragging out the oils, acrylics, or watercolors with the attendant mess.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/07/131854461/in-paris-a-display-from-hockney-s-pixelated-period

12. adbe macrumors 6502a

And? I used to know a guy who made wood carvings with a hand axe. They were kind of cool. That doesn't make an axe a craftsman's tool though.