A Quick Question.....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stekerrod, Jan 9, 2008.

1. stekerrod macrumors regular

Right i'm doing a project for my degree about Apple and i was wondering if you guys could give me some insight into why you think Apple has become a sort of cult for us lot and why it has a fan base i dont think any other computer companies really have?

appreciate any comments and insights you guys can give me!

thanks as always!

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You might do a good Google on that as it's been covered so much in the past.

For me, and this is personally, the reason the Mac has a cult following is that it doesn't have a cult following any more so than ANY other product has a cult following.
    Think about that.
    How can you quantify whether a Mac zealot is more of a zealot than a Windows zealot?
    You can't, so since it can't be quantified the original question is moot.

Consider another subject, in my very humble opinion. Why? You have made the conclusion before the evidence was analyzed.

3. stekerrod thread starter macrumors regular

i was just trying to figure out what is it about apple that makes us lot pay it so much attention, but i have found a couple of decent articles after googling it!

cheers for replying though

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

1. apple is the 'underdog' compared to the monopolizing MS
    2. they make unique products with a unique design
    3. leading edge technology

5. mufflon macrumors 6502

http://cultofmac.com/is a decent place, they gave out a book a while ago if memory serves, could be decent to read on the topic

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I would imagine that marketing researchers would have tools to quantify just that, but it's outside my field, so it's just speculation.

7. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Apple products put most other competing products 'in the shade'. This says something about Apple's design-led approach... but it says more about the truly appalling level of design and user friendliness in the electronics/computer market as a whole. Apple look so good because the competition looks so bad.

I've never really understood why so many other companies don't 'get it'. Maybe they figure that badly designed gizmos still sell... and maybe they're right. :(

A lot of 'fanboys' talk about 'we' and 'us' when they really mean 'Apple'. That's a degree of identification that people normally feel for their local sports team... rather than a maker of consumer durables... :)