A quick Snow Leopard question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhalliwell1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I will be buying a mac within the next two months and i am currently having difficulties deciding which Mac to choose. I think i have narrowed it down to either an iMac or a Mac Pro.

I was thinking about snow leopard the other day and came up with a theory;

The amount of cores you have will be more important than the clock speed of the processor

Am i thinking along the right lines here?

Edit: I do realize there is little know about Snow Leopard regarding how well it will optimize multiple cores and therefore am not looking for a definitive answer.

Many Thanks.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Snow Leopard will take advantage of Multi-Core processors.

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

It's just saying that having more cores is better than having a higher clock speed.

You'd probably want to get the MP if you want power and you want it to last. But if you are just a regular consumer than iMac should suit you well.

4. MrRage macrumors member

It all boils down to what you intend to do with the machine. I own and do a majority of my development on a Mac Pro and it is a great machine. I've got a mac book pro too but thats better for meetings, as well as working away from the mac pro.

Main thing I'd recommend right now is an nVidia based product. This could change later on but for the time being nVidia is the way to go.

So if you go with a pro your machine would be kick-but and modular. But you pay for that =(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The OS Stuff and Apple Pro apps will transition to the new multi-core architecture quickly.

The other apps will take a long while to make the transition, a lot of apps will stick with a Mac OS X 10.4.10 minimum requirement for awhile.

The Pro apps will take advantage of it soon.

Most likely we will see the multi-core transition happen a lot like the dual CPU transition. Slowly.