Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Is it safe to open up the keyboard while an iBook is running?

I have a friend who is a Mac-savvy person, and he asked to see my iBook. I allowed him because I knew he was a Mac user and so therefore I trusted he wouldn't screw it up.

Well, after looking through my apps, he pulled on the keyboard tabs and lifted it open. I couldn't believe how disrespectful he was and paid no concern to the fact that the computer was running and there he was rummaging through the innards of my computer.

I told him not to do that and close it. He couldn't even put the keyboard back in correctly.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
It should cause any problems to open the keyboard witht he machine running. However, if he was messing around with stuff inside the computer that could potentially be bad.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Ok, your post is (perhaps unintentionally) hilarious. First the quickie and goodtimes user name... heh heh... then the sheer nerve of that guy... hahaha

hahanet.gif

Seriously though, I doubt it's a good idea to open the keyboard up while the computer is running. Kick his ass outta there!

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Lifting up the keyboard is fine. However, from personal experience, I can tell you that you'll get a kernal panic if you remove the airport card while it's running. :D

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
No need to worry. The flat cable that attaches the keyboard to the computer is flexible and should keep on working even if the computer is on. I remember doing this (keyboard loose while iBook on) when I was in a computer store to test a memory module.

I agree it takes a little practice to put the thing back in in good order.

Although I understand you think he shouldn't have done that, I hope you weren't too mad at him :) (i've been in similar situations myself)

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
As long as he just looked and didn't touch anything while it was running, you should be fine.

It should only cause problems if he tried to remove the Airport card or RAM, or unplugged the ribbon cable to the keyboard if it was running.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Dear Mr Over-Reaction,

It wont cause any problems at all, he probably was just checking out your S/N and hardware info that resides under the keyboard.

Just as long as he didn't then pour coffee over it all.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Next time go easier... if you don't actually lift up the parts that reside under the keyboard, you are fine.

I've run an iBook while the keyboard was up-- heck, the RAM was exposed and the AirPort card wasn't installed fully.... it worked, but reception was pure crap about 8 feet away from the base station. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.