A rant on basic features that iTunes lacks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fizscy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Fizscy, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

Fizscy macrumors newbie

When will apple add useful features to iTunes? Features such as "sort by artist - title". Who sorts by albums (besides absolutely nobody)? Or you know that row of checkboxes for selecting songs to burn on a cd? Maybe clicking that could select all / deselect all.

And, oh, you know that feature that EVERY PROGRAM IN EXISTENCE has, Undo. One that undoes your accidental deletion of an entire playlist.

"Oh but the undo function is very useful! You can use it to undo typing in the wrong artist name when you select a song and bring up its properties"
    Way to go Apple! You saved my life on that one.

Sorry. Had to get it out somewhere. I'm pissed that the only three sort by options all involve sorting by album.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I do. It's the main way I listen to music, preferring to hear album from beginning to end. Don't care too much for ordinary playlists, but I've got some smart ones to stop me from getting stale and listening to my faves all the time in a reasonably large library.

What's wrong with Select All and Select None from the Edit menu? They even have keyboard shortcuts for both.

Never felt the need for it myself. :)

3. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I'm confused. Undo works for me provided you haven't actually removed the file completely (iTunes gives you the option, but you may have already clicked "remove completely and don't ask again").

Also, if you go to the list views you can click on "artist" or "title" and search that way, is that what you're referring to? Or did I miss something? :)

4. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

yeah, undo works fine for me. also, i just disable the checkboxes in the list all together, they are a waste of space and completely useless 99% of the time (at least for me).

i also sort by album and don't want my music sorted alphabetically by artist and then song name -- many albums are mixed in a way to "flow" together, either by feel/emotion/bpm, or more obviously where one song quite literally runs into another. i either listen to music in order by album or on shuffle all-together. don't really see a need for sorting by song title alphabetically.