A Rant

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MattGTO, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

Whats up guys?

I have to catch a plane in 7 hours, meaning I have to leave the house in 5. I haven't gotten much sleep in the past 3 days thanks to the new semester of school starting up, and I was hoping to catch up on some of that missed sleep tonight before my flight. Well, thanks to my newly acquired iPad, I have to now stay up all night because I can't figure out how to bypass a seriously stupid apple...policy (right word?).

I download games and applications all of the time on my ipad. I believe I had about 10 gigabytes in applications alone. I've been on my iPad so much that I haven't been on my Mac at all, and havent noticed that all of these applications were also being downloaded, without my knowledge, to my mac hard drive whenever I made a purchase. This took all of the remaining memory (down to 32 mb) on my 2009 Mac Mini, which doesn't have much storage to begin with. So when I found this out, I decided to go through and delete the applications I already have on my iPad, including games I have gotten fairly far in with a few hours of game time on each, so that I can have room on my mac to rip a quick movie and sync it to my iPad so my flight tomorrow would be a little more enjoyable. When I pressed "delete", I was prompted with something like this: "Deleting these applications will also delete them on any iPad, iPod, or iPhone you may also have them installed on."

WTF.

After a while of digging and experimenting with apps on my iPhone, I came to the conclusion that I am able to delete the applications from my computer, and when I sync a device, hit "yes" to transferring of my purchases from my iPhone (apps I just deleted), and cancel the process during the sync so that it skips to syncing media. This worked fine on my iPhone, so after having gotten the movie ready to sync, I plugged in my iPad. I hit yes to transferring purchases, just like before. I wait until I can cancel the actual transfer....but it didn't happen. I look down at my ipad...AND HALF MY F%#&ING APPS ARE GONE. Including the two games I played the most! This REALLY frustrated me, but I thought that I could fix it in a couple hours by going to the purchased section of the app store and downloading the apps I deleted back on to my iPad. I hit the cloud button for all the ones I needed (about 20), and consider going to sleep while it downloads. I check it again, and only one of the apps is "waiting", the rest weren't even on the homescreen yet waiting to download. Its been 20 minutes, still nothing.

Why the hell does it require me to transfer my purchases to my mac in order to have them on my iPad?! I would understand if this was a pre-ios5 device. But isn't the huge angle of ios5 being able to function without a computer?? This is especially problematic when I have an older mac with a smaller hard drive and simply don't have the space for all of these apps. And now I have to figure out a way to get these damn apps to start downloading. I am sufficiently hating apple at the moment. If I am a moron and didn't switch something off or am not seeing an obvious solution, please slap me in the face and let me know what I have been missing.

EDIT-finally got them to start downloading.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It isn't necessary just unstick the box that say's "Automatically sync new apps"

3. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

I did, as soon as I learned that they were being downloaded. But this didn't prevent the iPad from requiring the apps to be backed up on my mac. Which I understand is a great service for the majority of users that have enough HD space to allow every app to be backed up. But not for the minority that don't.

4. Blue star macrumors newbie

Mate same thing sort of happened to me.. Still unsure of WTF happened,but I know the games I lost ,when I reloaded I had to start from scratch,,like you I was miles I to the games,,note you also lose in app purchases,,I turned off the app store by signing out, it is so complicated mate and like you said,supposed to be easy and a future without the pc or laptop,,well it isn't and because the new system is so damn hard to work out what just happened it makes a mockery of the new system. Others who think we are crazy please take note,I expect you will one day hit the same problem,and there isn't a thing you can do about it. You lose the lot,it really has a mind of its own and is not well thought out,,and besides this,there is nowhere to find out what your supposed to do. Fix the bloody thing apple. Feel for ya mate. But sign out of the app store before you do anything else.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Excellent post!

It will be valuable to others who read it, since it will provide some insight about the problems that crop up due to Apples neglect in providing us with proper documentation.

For a company whose well worn slogan is "It Just Works", many are sure to disagree.