A real beginner feeling really thick

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jintymac, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Jintymac macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me to understand why I am receiving documents/files emailed to me from abroad and when I open them they are in a language that is unreadable. I am using Word for Mac. What do I have to do to convert text to something that is readable? Sorry for being SO basic!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Do you know who is sending them? Are they sent in the original foreign language? As far as I know there isn't a translator for Macs.

Google's translation maybe of some help:
    http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT#

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

Maybe it's Spam or Virus infested documents designed for Windows?

4. Jintymac thread starter macrumors newbie

The Thick one....new to this game!

Hello Sorry should be clearer....the files are not in a foreign language sorry. I am sure its not HTML but it is certainly digits and widgits etc. and not actual words. So I sent the user a document and he sent me back the doc attached to an email and when I open it - it is unreadable as words. Hope you can help.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What application were the documents produced in? Maybe your Mac can't open them properly. Can the sender send them as PDFs?

6. Jintymac thread starter macrumors newbie

A real beginner

Hi there.....I am producing the documents in Mac for Word as a PDF. Emailing the doc overseas as an attachment. The doc is being read/ amended and then returned and thats when I discover its all gobbildygook. This has happened previously and we have asked him to use PDF format but I guess I am just wondering if there is some sort of convertor that we should know about rather than go back to sender and admit we cannot open the doc.
    Thanks for your time but if it is simply that we have to stress everything has to go back and forth as PDF then that will have to do. Appreciate your prompt responses!!

7. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Have you tried verifying your fonts? And resolving any font duplicates? (Google can help you with these.)