A Real Mac to Windows Switcher?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Syrus28, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Let's hope not, but lately, I have surely been thinking about it. This thought was amplified at a trip to Fry's Electronics when I saw a slick Sony Vaio for sale. As you probably don't know, this is my first Mac (Macbook) and I have a love/hate relationship about the entire "Mac User" experience.

Hates (most --> least)
    1.) Safari crashes more than it stays open - Seriously, what is wrong with it? I have version 3.1.1., which is the latest version as far as I know.
    2.) Wifi does not recognize my network after waking up from sleep - Its like it forgets that its preferred. However, after I reconnect manually, there are no such connection problems. Additionally, on startup, it connects just fine, its just sleep...
    3.) .mac - server goes out way too often, which sabotages my email address and stops me from using the entire service. Also, I cannot get the 10GB space to work very well on Windows machines. I just expected a paid service to work better, overall.
    4.) Dead pixels - This one is my fault, as my MacBook had an unpleasant drop.
    5.) Pages '08 - No format painter!!
    6.) Apple fanboys irritate me - Seriously, they are the worst. It makes me embarrassed to own a Mac when I see people blindly defending Apple in all manners of language, credit Apple for the invention of the wheel, and assault Microsoft at any given chance. (I like Microsoft :eek:)
    7.) Apple commercials - It's a bad thing when you see the commercial and you nod your head at the problems PC is having, instead of Mac.
    8.) Games, Games, Games - I know I can use parallels or boot camp to have windows, but I don't want to fork over $400 for a copy of Vista (what were they thinking??), or $200 for XP.
    9.) System Crash - It has only happened once, and I had to boot in safe mode. Still, it tells me that OS X is not very different from Windows.
    10.) Shortcuts - Apple needs to get rid of the symbols, or at least put them on the key itself. I can't tell you how much time I have spent trying to decipher them.
    11.) Arrow Buttons and system alerts - Why, oh why, can I not select the buttons with the arrow keys?

Loves (most --> least)
    1.) No antivirus - Its nice to turn your computer on and not see a window that Avast! is scanning your system for viruses.
    2.) Dock - Its nice to see programs, system preferences, and updates, all in one, eye-pleasing, way.
    3.) iLife/Photo Booth - Great apps, use them all the time
    4.) Software Update - Much easier to find/use than Windows Update, so its easier to keep my system up to date.
    5.) Easy language change - I am taking spanish classes and I love how easy it is to get Mac OS X to spell check and type in spanish.
    6.) iWork '08 (besides Pages) - Keynote is truly awesome.
    7.) Spaces - I don't use it much, but I LOVE it when I do. No better way to organize things!

As you can see, my hates outnumber the loves. This may be a temporary feeling, but after 8 months of Mac OS X, I can truthfully say I Miss Windows. Anyone else ever felt the same way?

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

3. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

No, I have never felt that way but I would switch if I was you. I make my choice based on OS and it seems that Windows is your choice.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

No need to miss Windows...just run it on your Mac.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not even remotely, and I work with both operating systems on a daily basis. If I were to switch away from OS X for whatever reason, it wouldn't be to Windows - it would have to be to another Unix.... probably Solaris.

By the way - just a word to the wise, but be a bit cautious about Sony Vaio laptops - they're very prone to problems with the power board. I've seen more failures on Sony machines than I've seen on HP, Toshiba and Dell put together....

6. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

I am stopping myself, actually. I think its just I had higher hopes for what Mac OS X is, which ultimately watered down my experience. Thats not to say whether or not it is superior to Windows. This post was more for myself actually. Just a rant.

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As you're using Leopard, these issues you've mentioned have been requent, but with any new OS, you will find problems. Safari hangs with me sometimes, simple, I force quit/re-open.

Panther and Tiger were just the same when they first came out, it just takes a few more point releases to get all the bugs out.

Leopard has been a bit of a pain in my side, but.. I know it will work just as all the other OS's have and with each release, it does become more stable.

OR, you could just chop your mac in and get that sony. Upto you. End of the day, its your money and you can do what you wish with it.

8. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

if you are unhappy working on your current os, switch! that is the reason why most people switch over to osx anyways. you're on a mac forum, so of course there's going to plenty of bias here to stick with osx. imo if you think you can be more productive using a different os, then it is in your best interest to switch.

9. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Anyone know anywhere to get XP cheaper than $200? If so, that would help..

10. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I think..

Everybody has their own way of thinking. I switched on Dec. 07 and since that date, I haven't complain about my Mac, except the 2 visits to the Apple Store for the case cracking, but thats it. I recommend using Camino instead of Safari. Best wishes.

11. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'll be very honest.
    OSX isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
    I've had way more crashes and bugs with OSX in the past few months than i've ever had with Windows (XP atleast)
    Switch to windows if you feel more comfortable, and I completely understand all of your problems.

Have fun :)

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

eBay or Craigslist, perhaps? I've ended up with multiple *legal* copies of Windows XP over the years that I think I only actually paid for one of (if even), and recently got a free copy of Vista Ultimate from Microsoft from attending one of their free launch events, so I don't think of it as hard to get a copy of Windows for cheap. Some companies also have software licensing contracts that might entitle you to a free or reduced-price copy of Windows.

FYI, you should also be able to buy the upgrade version of Windows if you have a non-OEM disc for an old version of Windows, which will save you like 50%. I personally keep copies of Windows 95 and 98 discs that I've had for 10 years around for that purpose.

13. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

1. Clear your cache. Sometimes a partially downloaded item gets stuck there. Clearing the cache may fix the problem. Also - take note of what site you are using. I used to visit a site that regularly crashed Safari and Firefox. I don't go there any more and don't have any problems (bug report forwarded to Apple and the site owners).

2. Cant say I've had that problem on any of the three Macs I'm using. Perhaps it is your router?

3. UMMV. ,mac has worked fine for me. Perhaps the outages only happen when I'm asleep?

4. Probably should not list this one as it is self inflicted?

5. Yes. There is... Copy Style and Paste Style.

6. And they stop you using a Mac how?

7. Yes. PCs have a lot of problems. I spend my day fixing them. At home I use a Mac so I don't have to faff about getting things working and instead I work on things.

8. Games? Perhaps a nice PS3 would fit the bill?

9. I guess they do happen. Windows used to be aweful. Now it is just a little bad (MicroSoft's solution to the BSoD? Don't show it just restart the computer - no BSoD!). Never had a Mac pack up on me yet though (power cuts don't count - right?)

10. ????

11. Tab key?

14. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

I'll try that. Im bound to have some Windows version disc somewhere around here.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am always confused by comments like these. Cause I've never ever ever experienced anything like this. Heck, my iMac never crashes. Sure I use the run of the mill stuff, but I do use the machine (EyeTV, Safari, Mail, FTP, SSH, iTunes, etc. ). Either way, OP go do whatever you want man. Us fanboys will always be here for ya ;)

16. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

1. Ok, I tried that. I'll see how it goes.
    2. I dunno, the connection is fine (when i manually connect it), but it doesn't connect on its own.
    3. Maybe :confused:
    5. Hmm... It doesn't work for me. How exactly are you using it?
    8. PS3? no... I have a 360, its just nice to play a game on the road or the occasional RTS.
    11. That doesn't work. For example, press the hardware power button, then try to navigate to another button.

17. stomer macrumors 6502a

I find that my Safari crashes tend to occur after view a flash movie/app. Doesn't make it any less irritating. I'm pretty sure all my Safari crashes are related to flash.

I had this problem once or twice with Tiger, but never with Leopard.

.Mac works just fine for me, in the past 6 months of use, it has never gone down.

People who call other people fanboys irritate me. I think it's perfectly and normal acceptable to have strong feelings either way. This is especially true when it involves a company that has been involved in many despicable acts over the years.

What were you thinking? The Mac has never been a gaming platform and with the PC game market slowly dying, it probably never will be.

I've never tried to use the arrow buttons. Tab and Shift-Tab work fine for me.

If that's the case, then maybe you should install Windows and switch back?

18. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

2. I'm not really sure what you're saying the problem is, but just to let you know (if you don't already), there's a way to manually reorder your preferred networks. In the Network System Preference pane, select Airport in the sidebar then click the "Advanced..." button. Under the first tab of that window (it's labeled "Airport") there is a list of networks you've connected to in the past. You can drag them around to change the order. I'd recommend pulling the network you're talking about to the top of this list.

11. This is a setting in the Mouse and Keyboard System Preference pane. Under the tab "Keyboard Shortcuts" there are two radio buttons at the bottom. Select "All Controls"

I hope you can fix all or at least most of these issues and hate your mac less. :) Of course, if you can't or are simply dissatisfied with your experience, you should, by all means, switch back. All of us Apple evangelists would just be a bunch of hypocrites if we didn't tell you to use which ever operating system gives you the best user experience, whatever that may be. Of course I would look into just getting a copy of XP (Vista if you can stand it) as opposed to getting a new machine. Apple does make high quality machines, even comparing them to equivalent PCs on the market, and it would be a shame to get rid of the great computer you already have even if you're just going to use Windows on it. Bootcamp is not difficult to set up (i think there's a macrumors guide on that), plus it's always nice to be able to switch back and forth if you want.
    Good luck

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I think you can add that to your list of pros for mac.

20. operator207 macrumors 6502

XP Pro OEM $138.99

XP Pro OEM $125.99

I have never bought from these companies, so I do not know if they are legit or not. They are simply the product of a simple search of Google for "xp pro buy".

As for your wireless, you do not happen to have it set to "do not broadcast SSID" in the router do you? I have seen some other threads here and other places about that being off, and they cannot see the wireless after reboot/sleep. I have never experienced this with my MBP, but I had to turn broadcast on after a day because my wife's Vista Ultimate laptop was doing what yours is doing.

21. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Wow...I switched in March, and never looked back. I still use XP at work, and it's a chore. I get home on my shiny 20" iMac, and love it. No crashes, or problems. With any Mac or PC there's a chance for problems; both hardware and software. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a Mac or a PC. It's like any mechanical thing. Some swear by Samsung TV's [me included], and others say they're horrible.

Whatever makes you most productive and happy...

22. mamcx macrumors regular

Get Windows 2008 legal from MS itself.

Is better than vista. And is free to test for 240 days!

23. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Sure, switch. It doesn't matter if you like windows better than os x, it is all according to preference.

24. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing about a year ago. I was moving, and wanted to replace my first-gen macbook with a desktop. I liked OS X a lot, though it's not without it's faults. Looking for a desktop, I was uninspired by what was out there as far as iMacs went, and I didn't want to spring for a Mac Pro, so I ended up getting a PC.

A year later, I just bought a used MacBook. The pros just outweigh the cons for me. Not that I hate my PC, I still plan on keeping it around, but I just find the mac to be more usable. Not perfect, but better.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I have never felt this way. In fact, I'm looking to get rid of my Windows machines and go strictly Mac.