Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Ahh I ran across this earlier today as well... Not a good thing for your little men, unless you WANT to kill them off.

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
matthutch said:
well seeing the powerbooks produce a large amount of heat already, I thought this would be a good reason for the guys in here to stop complaining about there not being a powerbook g5 - as the would no doubt he a huge amount of heat produced.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11645083%5E15306,00.html

ha ha! yeah, i saw that too. definitely need to do something about the heat generated by laptops. :) i usually place a pillow on my lap anyways before using my laptop.

funny how they call it a laptop but its really a danger to use on your lap?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
From what I've heard, pillows aren't that great either because it doesn't allow the air to move under the laptop which is why they put the little feet on it. I've read that you shouldn't use your laptop on a non-firm surface without putting a podium pad or something like it underneath.

I don't tend to have my laptop that high up on my lap when I'm on the couch anyways. It's usually closer to my knees than my .....

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
mactastic said:
From what I've heard, pillows aren't that great either because it doesn't allow the air to move under the laptop which is why they put the little feet on it. I've read that you shouldn't use your laptop on a non-firm surface without putting a podium pad or something like it underneath.

I don't tend to have my laptop that high up on my lap when I'm on the couch anyways. It's usually closer to my knees than my .....

oh well, one kid is enough for me anyway! :D

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Am I the only person in the world who uses their laptop on a desk? I would say 96.7 percent of the time, my powerbook is on a table or desk

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
This is kind of alarming. I knew it wasn't the safest thing to have a boiling laptop on your lap, but I didn't know it could cause reproductive harm. I'm glad I don't use a laptop as much now since I got my G5 :D. Course when I did it wasn't on my lap too often as it was on my desk/surface, which brings me to this quote from agreenster

agreenster said:
Am I the only person in the world who uses their laptop on a desk?

When I only had my PC laptop, I mainlly used it on a desktop. Only when I was in a car (non driving, btw) or on a couch is when it was on my lap, and boy did that thing (the laptop! :rolleyes: ) get hot after a while.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I also read this story on Yahoo. I'd heard this before somewhere a few years ago, my mom used to bug me about it when I'd have my laptop on my lap while I was sitting on the couch for a long period of time. Of course...I'm female so I don't know if that would affect me. If it's just the heat though, what's the difference between it and taking a hot shower? Just the amount of time? or am I asking a stupid question? :rolleyes: :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacFan26 said:
If it's just the heat though, what's the difference between it and taking a hot shower? Just the amount of time?

It's the extent of the heat and the concentration in that particular area. Although since men tend to continually produce new sperm, I would think the impact would be short-term.

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
emw said:
It's the extent of the heat and the concentration in that particular area. Although since men tend to continually produce new sperm, I would think the impact would be short-term.

unless it does damage to the testicles. :eek:

must admit though that it would be hard to use a laptop right over that area, especially if you have a big gut. :p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
palusami said:
unless it does damage to the testicles. :eek:

You've got a point. But I'd think it would have to be for a pretty extended period of time, and heat or no heat, sitting with a laptop on your, um, legs for any period of time more than about 20 minutes is hard on the carpal tunnels.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
This is old news, or at least, my partner has kept telling me ever since I bought my first iBook.. "Don't use it on your lap!"

Like, yeah, I hate kids anyway. Bring it on, so long as the mechanical side is unaffected!

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
agreenster said:
Am I the only person in the world who uses their laptop on a desk? I would say 96.7 percent of the time, my powerbook is on a table or desk
Good question. I usually have my PowerBook sitting on a CoolPad, on a desk or table top. Even when I have the PowerBook in my "lap", it's sitting on a lap desk or some other hard surface (i.e. not directly on my lap).

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
agreenster said:

good point. most of the time i'm using my laptop on my desk. i tend to use it on my lap when i'm watching a movie in the living room or doing something that requires me to be away from my desk.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I do so many things that are supposed to adversely affect fertility I don't know why my wife and I bother with birth control. Still it only takes one of the little buggers that can swim and knows the way ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This happens to be a problem that affects all laptop users and not just Mac's. It also seems that those of us past our 20's are reasonably safe. There is still the problem of receiving a burn on the thigh with prolonged use. That goes for female and male. My wife noticed some irritation and is trying to be careful. She uses a cradle that's made to allow air flow for her PowerBook. That should assist with the testicle problem also.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I have one of the very early TiBooks and I have actually burned myself after picking it up after watching a DVD on it. I run folding 24/7 on it and my room is always a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house. It's good in the winter but not the summer. I mostly use it on my desk so there's no risk of harming anything down there.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Digidesign said:
You could always place the powerbook on your Girlfriend Lap Pillow. Then no harm would be done. Until someone sees you with the pillow. Then you'd have to kill yourself.

I guess that I shouldn't be surprised. Another innovative product from Asia. It seems to be used best for a quick nap during work. :D

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
I just saw this article referenced on CNet and I can't believe its getting as much attention as it is. It doens't make any real conclusions. Yes sperm production is ideal over a narrow temperature range. But I don't see how using a laptop is much more different than spending some time in the spa, wearing tightey whiteys or living in Arizona during the summer (or winter for that matter). Your sperm may be less than ideally fit in these cases, but probably only in their motility. I don't know of any evidence that proves temperature to be the cause of errors in DNA replication in the germ line (what's really important). Besides, I would also assume that burning pain in balls would precede any permanent tissue damage. I don't know about everyone, but if my scrotum starts to hurt, I won't leave my laptop there for very long.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Wondering...

If you have one leg on the ground, and one leg crossed over it, so that the laptop in question is riding on the leg crossed over the other leg... is that safer?

My PowerBook is usually on a desk, in my hands, or in some other position. Not usually on my lap... but usually enough its nearby!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.