A Reasonable Plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by epmatsw, Aug 12, 2007.

1. epmatsw macrumors member

So, here's my plan for the next few years. I'm going to buy this Mac Mini after Leopard comes out to replace my very old pc:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    120GB Serial ATA drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    BT Keyboard

$949

(I've got a 360 for gaming, and I already have a monitor and wireless mouse)

Then, in two years, I'll head off to college and get myself a Macbook/MBP. That will become my main computer, and the mini will shift to media/storage and live in my dorm. I may or may not get a monitor to go with it, but I may just use VNC to run it from my laptop. Are there any obvious flaws with this plan? I need some outside opinions to make sure I'm not missing anything to obvious.

PS: Can I use the $100 dollar printer discount to basically cut $100 off the price by reselling it right away?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It's going to take 6-8 weeks for them to give you the 100 dollars in the mail.

I'd get an iMac and possibly have dual screens.

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would suggest you look into an iMac as well. There's probably a bunch of the old style ones in the refurb section.

Do you have a monitor to use with the mac mini?

The Mac Mini is possibly on the way out too, so.... i dunno

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I thought that before last Tuesday too, but now I'm not so sure. It might remain as Apple's refuse of old parts:(

OP, if you have the money for an iMac, I still wouldn't recommend it. You have a few years left in high school, which means that the Mini will probably be enough for now. Save up and use your money in other ways (cars, girls, damage on the car to cover it up before you parents find out, other girls;)) Seriously though, save up and buy yourself a mbp when you start college. You'll need the better computer then rather than now.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I think in the OP's situation, the mini is actually the best choice. The just updated it, he can use hit current accessories AND it'll make a very beautiful transition to a media center once he gets his macbook for college. A imac would be good of course right now, but I think the mini... will save him a few bucks right now, be plenty powerful for him right now, AND take up very little space and be very sexy sitting by his TV for media and run wirelessly (if he wants and can swing it) via his laptop.

I say that is a very reasonable plan. Good job.

6. kumbaya macrumors regular

plan looks good from here too

you might want to save money and buy the extra RAM from someone other than apple and sell the supplied 2x512MB RAM on eBay etc

:) :apple:

7. CaptainWOW macrumors member

Sounds Good

Sounds like a good plan. I think this is one of the cases where the Mini makes the most sense.

I second the post about buying the RAM from somewhere else. Much cheaper, save yourself a few bucks and spend it on something else. (Or put it in your savings account :rolleyes:)