A recommended youtube to mp3 converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peewee12345, Nov 14, 2016.

1. peewee12345 macrumors member

My go-to converter seems to no longer function.. for months now it "says" under maintenance come back in an hour

Can someone recommend a youtube to mp3 to itunes converter. I am on El Capitan OS.
    Thank you

2. High Desert macrumors regular

Got the same issue and question here. Looks like the Youtube mp3 converter was taken offline due to threat of lawsuit. I have spent the morning trying to find a free alternative that is clean (no ads, hidden costs, etc) like like the Youtube converter. Most everything I have looked at either has limitations on downloads, tons of ads, or junk that runs in the background trying to access contacts, locations, phone, etc. If someone knows of a good replacement, I'd be real interested.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Downie. It will give you the ability to download video from a lot of different sites, as well as extracting audio from YouTuibe videos etc to mp3. I have been using the software for several years and have had no problems. It works well and the developer is great with user response and updates.

4. nigelbb, May 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2018

nigelbb macrumors 65816

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

youtube-dl works fine. It's command-line however.

First install homebrew by copy/pasting the one-liner on their home page in Terminal: https://brew.sh/
    Then install youtube-dl by copy/pasting this line:

$ brew install youtube-dl

Then convert any video into MP3 with the following line:

$ youtube-dl -x --audio-format=mp3 "http://www.youtube.com/blah"