A regular portable wifi printer will work with iOS 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mamcx, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mamcx macrumors regular

I wonder if is possible carry a portable WIFI printer, and with no other computer (just the printer + iPad) be able to print stuff.

I haven't a portable printer yet, so I'm open to suggestion.

P.D: If exist any portable printer that have their own battery, best... Be small is a plus... Is for print tickets and small stuff like receipts...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The only printers that work right now independent of a computer is a few HP printers. Anything else will need to be directly plugged into a Mac or a PC with iTunes.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

You are generally correct but just to clarify, "plugged in directly" also includes WiFi printers connected wirelessly to a PC or Mac. For example, I have a Canon WiFi printer connected (wirelessly) to my iMac. If I set up the iMac to share the printer, I can use iOS 4.2 to print from my iPad to that printer. The iPad can't print directly to the printer, even though it supports WiFi.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Some form of driver is needed so either they reside in the printer themselves (AirPrint compatible printer) or a computer has them. I don't believe that connection to the host needs to be physical.

5. andrewb21 macrumors member

I have printer sharing turned on, and I have a Lexmark wifi printer which is networked to my Mac. However on my iPad (4.2 Beta 3) when I hit print, it says "No Printer Detected". Anyone find a way around this?

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Must enable sharing through iTunes beta 10.1 if on windows or the mac 10. whatever (i dont use Mac so idk). If you dont have these then you cannot print.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

You need to have your Mac share the printer via System Preferences->Sharing->Printer Sharing. And of course this means that both the printer and your Mac need to be on and awake when you try to print.

8. Roadking macrumors 6502

I believe

I read somewhere that some
    Epson and HP printers have apps that will allow you to print direct from your ipad. I am certain that at least the HP printer I was researching (don't remember the exact model) didn't need to be hooked up to another computer.

9. mamcx thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, but none yet that is portable? In my scenario, I don't have a regular PC, only carry the iphone/ipad + printer.

10. goojam macrumors newbie

I need the same thing.

I use my ipad to create invoices while out at a job site. While I can email the invoice straight from my ipad, sometimes, people don't have an email address so I have to wait until I get back to the office to print off an invoice and snail-mail it. I'd like to have a small portable printer in my car that I could print to. If anyone has suggestions...

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You could try the smallest HP printer with ePrint/AirPrint and use a DC power inverter.