A repeated ticking sound... :/

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SpiralOut, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SpiralOut macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I bought my imac about 3 months ago, and everything has been just fine.
    Until yesterday...when it started making this repeating ticking sound every 3 seconds approximately. Other than that it's working good as any other day,but it kinda worries me.

I checked the only place it's possible,the ram card slot,but nothing wrong with that.I can't explain what that is and it is really annoying actually.It is too early to start having these kinds of problems,isn't it?

Anyway,any help on this issue will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

K.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I would make sure you have a backup of your hard disk. One of the early warning signs of a hard disk failure is a regular ticking noise. And contrary to popular belief, a lot of failures occur in newish products. The tendency is that if something is going to fail, it will fail in its early days, otherwise it's most likely to work for a good while. That's why extended warranties are good business, if the product has worked for a year, the odds are that it will survive for a couple more years.

3. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Go to Utilities -> Disk utility. Select your HD and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. Does it say verified? Its not a guarantee its ok, but its somewhere to check.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Most likely the hard disk, if you listen in the center of the screen you should hear it the loudest, as that's where the hard disk is.

Make sure you have a backup of everything, and get to an Apple Store ASAP.

5. SpiralOut thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the S.M.A.R.T. status and it says verified.

Im calling service right now....