Resolved "A required download is missing" message when resetting Mac OS X to default setting

Gingerale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
After erasing the hard disk and retuning to the primary "Mac OS Utilities" I chose "Install OS X" (El Capitan) and contiued. It went to the screen "OS X El Capitan" then when I clicked continue I received a message that read "A required download is missing".
Does anyone know what I can do to reinstall OS X El Capitan?

Gingerale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
and if you try with cmd-opt-r?
I will retry using cmd-opt-
Thank you for responding. I will have to use my ethernet cable that's attached to this computer to connect to the Mac I'm restoring to factory settings. I may not be back on the forum tonight. Hopefully this will work. Again thanks

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
One other trick to try (no promises):
"Set back" the Mac's internal clock. It sounds illogical, but try it.

How to do this:
a. Open the date and time pref pane.
b. UNCHECK the box "set date and time automatically"
then
c. Set your clock back to Jan 1, 2017.
d. Reboot

NOW try the install over again.
Any difference?

IF it works, you can get set up, and then GO BACK to date and time and put things back where they were previously...

Last edited:
Reactions: geektitude

4sallypat

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

How to do this:
then
d. Reboot

Any difference?

IF it works, you can get set up, and then GO BACK to date and time and put things back where they were previously...
Yes, this worked.
Apparently using an old OS on a current / future time causes this hangup - possibly due to certificate expiration ?

I tried this for both El Cap, Sierra, High Sierra by turning the date back to when it was released.

I used the terminal command to change time and date....

geektitude

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020

How to do this:
then
d. Reboot

Any difference?

Any more tips for step a. ? With the disk erased I'm not sure how to get to system preferences to access the date and time preferences page. Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"With the disk erased I'm not sure how to get to system preferences to access the date and time preferences page."

Can you boot to INTERNET recovery?
Command-OPTION-R

If you are booted to internet recovery, open terminal and enter:
date 010112002019
(there is a space character between "date" and the number)

Now close terminal and try re-installing the OS.

geektitude

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
Command-R works for me.
Command-Opt-R does did not work for me initially. (get a circle with X in it and nothing else.)

After booting in with Command-R I went to terminal. I typed in "date 010112002019". No error with message indicating day set to Jan 1. I exited terminal and tried to install the OS again (without rebooting) and ultimately received the same error. "A required download is missing".

For kicks I tried Internet Recovery again holding down Command-Option-R keys when booting up and now I'm at a different place. Spinning globe with message "this may take a while". Thanks for your help. IF this doesn't end up with the result I want I'll bring the macbook in to my local apple store. Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it. Godspeed.

Propoleo

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
"With the disk erased I'm not sure how to get to system preferences to access the date and time preferences page."

Can you boot to INTERNET recovery?
Command-OPTION-R

If you are booted to internet recovery, open terminal and enter:
date 010112002019
(there is a space character between "date" and the number)

Now close terminal and try re-installing the OS.

You know what....You are a genius, its works, thanks a lot