A retina screen on a non-pro model

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ByteTheBooty, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

Ive always hated the display of my 13 MBA. I remember a couple of posts I wrote a couple of post (on my old account) about a buying a pro and I remember that famous reply that I heard so many times: "you dont need a retina screen, you dont do professional work". (am I the only one who ever head this saying?)

What do you guys think having a Retina screen on a "low" end model?

Does anyone actually think it is a waste of pixels or something?? Im just wondering because I always wanted a Pro for the screen and always told myself that I didn't need it since im not a professional and convinced myself that I didn't need a retina screen (even though I really want one)...

2. imoxja macrumors newbie

That's kinda what they just made with the MacBook... But wanting a retina display isn't about being professional or being casual - it's about not wanting your eyes to bleed when they drag across the jagged text.

3. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

macbook has way too many compromises.

if Apple released a retina version of MBA 13, I'd buy it in a heart-beat

4. noobinator macrumors 601

Better screens are better for doing everything on a laptop not just doing "professional" things. Movies, documents, spreadsheets, and pictures of your kids look better.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

A Retina screen is absolutely necessary, even for non-professionals. Consumers see a huge benefit in it. Look at how many people switched from the Air to the Pro just for the screen.

I wouldn't be getting the new MacBook if it didn't have Retina. The thing is, the Air doesn't just not have Retina but it also has a crappy TN panel. I think some people would be satisfied with a good IPS panel.

6. iRun26.2, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Had Apple even upgraded the MBA screen from a TN panel to an IPS panel I would have immediately upgraded years ago. I was waiting and waiting. I suspect that is the reason that so many people are so unhappy with the rMB. They wanted their same MBA but with a retina screen. I have jumped ship, switching over to a MB from the MBA simply because of the retina screen.

The retina screen is the main selling point of the the new rMB (in tandem with the new form factor). I'm so excited to get mine! Getting a retina screen into an even smaller computer is more than I had hoped for.

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Retina is a must. I hate pixels. A must for any work where text is involved.

8. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

Yeah! Text work demands HIDPI.

On a 24" 2160p screen it does not make THAT much difference going from 1080p video to 2160p video, however text is so much more unbelievably clear on the 2160p screen.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The word pro in in the laptop line up is there strictly for marketing purposes. The MBP is no more a professional machine then the MBA. or vice versa. Likewise, if the rMB fits a need regardless of your intention, then its a good buy.

Who cares what others think, get what you want and be content with your purchase. It doesn't matter what others think

10. newellj macrumors 601

I would happily buy (have bought - it doesn't look like it will ever happen) an 11" MBA with a good quality IPS panel at 1080p.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Once you go retina, you cant go back. Its a hard transition for me from my rMBP to the iMacs at school.

12. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

For almost the first 2 years after the retina came out the opposite where actually more true.. The retina was great for consumers but sucked for productivity since basically no pro-apps where "retina-ready". So you had to use a 2nd monitor to be able to do any real work on the damn thing :)

Adobe took forever to update their stuff..

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How is that much different than the 13" rMBP? The reason we didn't get it is because there wouldn't be enough differentiation. Wait a year or two and the rMBP line will become thinner/lighter. Perhaps Skylake will make it happen.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Well said

Q-6

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

I frankly don't understand why some people think only pros should look at nicer screens. On MBA, it's not just lower pixel density but TN panel offering limited viewing angle and lower color fidelity.

13" MBA would-be buyers who can spend $300 more should get 13" MBP. It's only a fraction larger and heavier, but comes with a lot more power, retina screen, and double the RAM.

256GB 11" MBA would-be buyers who can spend $200 more should get 12" MB if they can live with limited number of ports. You get double the RAM, greater portability, and retina screen.

I suspect within a couple of years, prices of both 12" MB and 13" MBP will come down and eliminate MBA from the lineup entirely.

16. noobinator macrumors 601

People really should just get whatever the heck they want.

17. nutmac macrumors 68040

That's not really how Apple traditionally operates though. In the past, Apple stuck with simplified product matrix. Perhaps you are right but I think we are in a transition stage and MBA will eventually replaced entirely with lower priced 12" MB and 13" MBP.