a ridiculously simple question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by amanda kathryn, Mar 13, 2008.

1. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

my friend just got a mac pro today, how do you open the disk tray??? i have a macbook so mine's just a slot, so i'm of no help.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There's an eject button on the top right-hand side of the keyboard. ;)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Press the Eject button on the keyboard. To open the second one (if he has one) press Option+Eject.

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

There is a key directly above the delete key on the keyboard.

If there is a disc in the machine, Apple+E (or dragging said item to the trash which turns into an eject button) will also work.

If there are two drives in the machine, you will (usually) have a little applet in the top menu bar that looks like an eject button... that will do it.

Here is a GREAT list of shortcuts for your new friend to learn!

Keyboard Shortcuts

Hope that helps! :apple:

5. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

haha thanks guys, we got it now :)

he said he had pressed the eject button on the keyboard but nothing happened, so he figured it was something for itunes or something. he tried option and eject and that worked.

6. GotPro macrumors 6502

Also... Apple changed it recently... you actually have to HOLD DOWN the eject button for a bit now.

In years past... you just had to tap it.

Just FYI ;-)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have to hold it for a second or so. OS X prevents you from accidentally ejecting a disk.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yeah, I know it's kind of a modern Mac annoyance. I first learned of this "required/only way" to open the Mac drive when I first saw the mirrored-drive door G4 models in 2002. My machine at the time was also a PowerMac G4, but a Sawtooth AGP model that DOES have a button on the front of the drive. It seems like all the pro-level Mac towers since about 2002 have not had an easy-access hardware button on the drive.

I don't particularly like this (a software-based button) and it gets confusing when you have 2 internal optical drives, a firewire CDR, and an external Blu-ray drive...if you know what I mean. Plus, when you insert a CD wrong or your system crashes it can be buggier than hell (a horrendous annoyance)

Let's go back to basics. (BACK TO THE BUTTON...on the drive

9. whistler222 macrumors 6502

if the system breaksdown, u can hold down the left mouse button on reboot, and the disc will eject as well.
    :)

10. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

LOL, I'm the friend she was talking about.. I've been a PC user forever and this was the first time I had used a Mac for more than 30 seconds at a store.

I didn't notice the eject button on the keyboard, and being a PC user I looked for a button on the case, or an eject option in the OS... but apparently you don't see the drive unless a disc is in it. I finally found under disk info? there was an option to eject / close, then right after that I noticed the eject button on the keyboard itself

It took me a couple hours to get adjusted to how things work on OS X compared to a PC, but I setup my raid array, started copying data from my linux box, and installed CS3 and office 2008 so I'm not completely Mac-tarded now.

:D

11. Banacek macrumors 6502

There's no emergency eject either, which in my mind has been a flaw in Apple machines since I started using them.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's also a menu option to eject in the top right hand corner.

I use a keyboard on which the eject doesn't work without a software driver (?) so I use the menus.

13. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

oh you're finally here :D

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've been a Mac user since 1984 and I still remember my first Mac without an eject button on the CD tray, probably around the year 2000. It must have taken me two hours to figure out how to open the damn thing.