A Sad Day For my iBook G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JohnnyH1012, Feb 25, 2015.

1. JohnnyH1012, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

I bought my iBook G3 (600Mhz 2001) about 2 years ago, and never thought I would see this day...
    I was using my ibook to browse the internet, and was pushing it quite a bit. Unfortunately, I heard a pop, and my iBook's backlight stopped working and after closer inspection, there was a graphics issue (lines down the screen) as well. After a restart there is no improvement... Someone tell me this isn't the end :mad:

Edit: After powering on the computer is functional but the backlight is still gone.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It could be the inverter board(and from your description I would say likely is), which is generally an inexpensive fix although I don't know how difficult it is to get to on the iBook G3.

3. JohnnyH1012, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

JohnnyH1012 thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to tear the puppy apart whenever I have some free-time. Not entirely sure where the inverter board would be, however I'm sure it will be fairly an easy find (not so much an easy teardown, though). Worst case scenario I guess I'm parting the thing out on eBay. :(

4. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

If it's just the display you can use it with an external monitor

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This. Hook it up to an external display. If your issues disappear then it's your inverter/backlight or the entire LCD. If your problems do NOT go away then it's the GPU which is soldered to the logicboard which means, new logicboard.

Sounds like it's just the inverter/backlight though.

6. JohnnyH1012 thread starter macrumors member

I would, but I unfortunately do not have the necessary cables to hook it up to a display. Is it a mini-display port that is on the iBook G3?

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It is not mini-DP(that didn't come around until 2008 or so).

Some white G3s had mini-VGA, others had a proprietary A/V out port. A 600mhz could have either.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

If it is the inverter board then from my experiences with a G4 iBook the inverter unit is to the side of the LCD panel behind the display bezel, so you could access it by undoing the screws in the lid and popping the bezel out. Unfortunately the fixed inverter cable goes into the logic board so it means an extensive strip down of the whole iBook. Blame Jony.

10. JohnnyH1012 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Ive demanding a new, in box iBook G3. :p No... I'll have to take a look inside the display bezel to check for any visible damage to the board. Would there be any visible damage?

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Wouldn't have thought so. You can, for instance, theoretically murder ram sticks by static and that doesn't leave any physical trace.