A Sad iPhone Story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starflyer, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

So I'm on vacation this week in Daytona Beach. The weather was great for the first couple of days but turned pretty cold. Too cold to go to the beach. So yesterday my wife and her family wanted to go shopping so I decided to get some work done. So I walked down to the local Starbucks to drink some coffee and use their WiFi. All the seats next to outlets were taken so I sat in an empty seat and decided to wait for someone to leave. I had about 30 minutes of battery left.

Well, my battery died and there still wasn't any available seats. So I headed next door to Dunkin' Dounuts. I had my less-than-a-month-old iPhone 4 in my jacket pocket this whole time. When I arrived I went to pull out my phone and it was gone. It had to have fallen out. I ran back across the street and it wasn't there. I logged onto me.com and saw that my phone was about 2 miles away and stationary.

I sent several messages to the phone asking that it be returned to Starbucks. I called it several times from a landline but nobody answered.

I called the police and they arrived about 20 minutes later. It was now about 3 miles away but now it was moving fast. I used the officer's in car laptop to log on to me.com and allow him to track the phone. By this time my family arrived back with my car and we followed the office as he was tracking the phone.

We drove for about 5 miles and the office slowed down and my heart skipped. i knew we were close. He stopped and got out. Came back and said that he had some good news and bad news. The good news is that he knew where my phone was. The bad news is that it was in the middle of the water. He said the suspect must have gotten spooked and tossed it. It is about 30ft deep he said.

I didn't think to ask what might have spooked him. I filled out the police report and headed back to the resort. I called SquareTrade and there was nothing they could do unless I could recover the phone. AT&T was no help either. They best I could do was get an early upgrade for $399. Apple said they could sell me a refurb for $199 if I could recover the phone.

Bummed, I got on my laptop and checked my mail. It received an email from MobileMe that showed what messages where displayed on the phone. The officer sent a message while we were tracking the phone!

This is what spooked him. We were SO close.

Anyways, just wanted to vent some frustration. Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

2. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Did you try the Apple Store, or just call them? Seems like if you can produce a police report and/or between the two parties render the phone unusable, they should work with you, no?

Anyway, good luck with it.

3. lskeys macrumors member

That is why I did not go with Squaretrade for Iphone 4 insurance. I went with a company that offer insurance for loss or theft.

4. JASApplications macrumors 65816

oh dea :mad: :(

5. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i know the area very well...

there is no bridge there and that intercoastal water way is very wide....how did it read right in the middle of the intercoastal ?

wow !

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

:(

I wonder why the officer sent the crook a message in the first place.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's likely not right in the middle. It's likely offset a bit but the displayed graphic is more centered.

The cop is a moron. He shouldn't have done that and in hindsight I'm sure he figured that out.

8. swiftbmx macrumors regular

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Dale McBroom? That name sounds made up.:p

I once went out with a girl whose last name is O'Looney.

Too bad it worked out that way, especially since you were tracking the iPhone and you got so close.

My advice: make an appointment at an Apple Store, bring in a screenshot of the map showing the location of your phone, and plead with the "Genius"/manager for the $199 replacement.

I hope it works out!

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Bummer and my advice. Never leave your phone anywhere when you go get anything. Put it in your pocket.

11. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I'm boggled that the police showed up for a stolen phone AND tracked it. I don't live in a huge city and even our police don't have time for a phone. Stolen phone = leave report with report taking officer on duty.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

how would your phone be able to report it's location if it was underwater? I don't think the electronics would work so well then. The indicators would certainly be red.

13. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Still admirable for the cop to come out and actually track the phone from his vehicle.

No cop here that I know of would do something like that.

14. Pink∆Floyd, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

15. JASApplications macrumors 65816

:)

16. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Sucks man, that's terrible. Best of luck to you though.

17. GUNZILLA macrumors newbie

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen