A saved search stack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmac101, Nov 4, 2007.

1. cmac101 macrumors newbie

As a student i have all my documents organized into folders according to class. I created a spotlight search that has all my documents that have been opened in the last 2 weeks so that i can have a stack with quick access to them. So i saved the stack to sidebar and i cant drag that to the dock. So i go to my library and to saved searches and drag the folder to the dock. When i click on it, it opens a new window in finder instead of expanding as a stack. Does anyone know how to make a stack out of a saved spotlight search??? Thanks.

2. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how to get a Smart Folder to work this way in Stacks.

However there is a workaround using Automator. You can create a simple workflow where the first item is "Find Finder Items" and the second is "New Aliases." By setting the destination folder in "New Aliases" to a specific folder that you can drag onto the dock you can achieve a similar effect as you would expect from dragging a Smart Folder. Unfortunately the icons are not preview icons but rather short cut icons. Still, it's a way to have a search accessible via Stacks on the dock.

I'd love to know if anyone has a good solution to this.

3. cmac101 thread starter macrumors newbie

However there is a workaround using Automator. You can create a simple workflow where the first item is "Find Finder Items" and the second is "New Aliases." By setting the destination folder in "New Aliases" to a specific folder that you can drag onto the dock you can achieve a similar effect as you would expect from dragging a Smart Folder. Unfortunately the icons are not preview icons but rather short cut icons. Still, it's a way to have a search accessible via Stacks on the dock. [/QUOTE]

Does this method update automatically?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What is your smart folder's set up? I couldn't figure out how to get the folder to only look at the items opened inside of my documents folder.
    And on another note while searching for 'other' rules for the folder, I found a spelling mistake in the OS. It should say 'pathname' but it says 'pathanme'!
    [​IMG]

5. cmac101 thread starter macrumors newbie

All i did was click on my documents folder and then start to type something in search. Once the search starts, i deleted what was in the in the search field and clicked search "documents", and then add a search criteria to say last modified within the last 21 days.

Attached Files: