A Seamless iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Salacion, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Isn't it funny to think that the only aesthetically displeasing aspect of the iPhone (the seams) are causing the most trouble?

Can we expect the next generation iPhone to be seamless, and revert back to a plastic back? Call me stupid, but I thought the signal could pass through glass?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I never found it to be distracting at all. Some people get way too caught up in things.

If anything, couldn't they have just made it a silver-colored band?

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I feel that they could have made the antennas around the edge slightly thinner... then added a non-conductive layer over that, and then a seamless Aluminum band on top of that. They could have saved themselves if they'd been more anal about making it seamless instead of calling it "a brilliant piece of engineering", one that ended up shooting them in the foot.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm still trying to comprehend how they clearly knew to put the seams in the phone to separate the antenna to prevent interference from each other, but somehow didn't think the human hand would bridge that?

So weird.

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yes, considering they are the cause of this debacle.

7. actorkid macrumors 6502

the seams aren't the cause. The seams were the attempted solution. The seams serve their purpose. If the seams weren't there, then the phone would never work (well).

8. Salacion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tell me about it.

What I find even more peculiar are, when the prototype was leaked, the people who complained direly about the seams suddenly forgot about them when they actually released the device. Nobody seems to mention their distaste for the seams in correlation to the defect.

The end all would be an aluminum unibody iphone, amirite? That's what we all want, even if it isn't pragmatic. Still to this day, the first iPhone was the sturdiest, most durable generation.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking since this whole thing came to light. During the Keynote, there was a Pee-Wee Herman "I meant to do that" moment when he pointed out the gaps in the band. I'm sure they're intention was originally to have a nice seamless band, and would be very Apple, that's why he had to point it out. The gaps were the initial solution. But it boggles the mind that they didn't consider human hands as a prime conductor. I mean, the human body conducts, 5th graders know that. That's why we're not supposed to stick paperclips in power outlets, and also why external antennas probably shouldn't be touched unless you want to alter their performance in some way.

10. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

They probably did, just didn't think it would be as bad as it is.
    Or Steve just didn't want to have his idea changed much to the dismay of the engineers.

11. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

unibody frame with plastic/glass back in similar fashion to current iPhone 4 BUT that back cover will house the antennas...would work great and look just as good if not better

12. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Probably because nobody had actually held the phone and realised how unobstrusive the seams actually are;
    I wasn't actually expecting them to be perfectly flush with the band. In fact, if it wasn't for the colour, they would be unnoticeable.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What seams? If anything, the screws are the only aesthetically displeasing aspect of the iPhone.

14. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

The phone doesn't work well...

15. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I kinda like the screws lol. The seams were the only thing I didn't like when Gizmodo leaked it, but not I don't really care.

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

You know what I mean, touching the seams then. Still, it involves the seams and where they are located.

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think the seems looked kinda badass when I first saw them. Now they just remind me of the problem.

It's fun to re-watch the Keynote. When Jobs is like "what's THIS?" with a big picture of the gap on the screen circled. I like to imagine someone in the audience screaming "It's your worst nightmare!"

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

haha Exactly. The foreshadowing in this entire debacle is hilarious.

Someone needs to get the inner workings and details and write a book on this, or at the very least a made for TV movie.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yeah, they could call the movie, "Fired in the Valley".

20. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think one of the main downfalls is they touted the glass to be as strong as a windshield on a helicopter or high speed train meanwhile a little fall shatters it. Glass doesn't belong on a smartphone unless the screen it is under a plastic housing like the 3GS. I want to know why the process they show on their keynote about the glass only shows it flexing and not other tests especially that I don't believe that is the same glass they flex in the video. I want to see a drop test on the next WWDC Keynote let's see what happens in the real world?

They need to seriously rethink and test their next phone and not accidentally leave it in a bar gimme a break how much did that employee make for doing that?