A series of awful events (Please help!)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tmillo, Jun 7, 2013.

1. tmillo macrumors newbie

Hello,

My iPhone will not switch on..

The issues are:
    The lock button is jammed down,
    The iphone thinks it's always on 1% battery.

So.. because the lock button is jammed it will not turn on but at the same time if I try and charge it to turn it on it stays on the completely empty battery picture on the off home screen (because it always thinks it's on 1% and the iPhone doesnt turn on until 3% when charge activated).

If one of you geniuses can help I'd be very very very thankful!

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Can you try to stick something in to force the button back up?

3. tmillo thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not. Tried everything, even the Apple store said it was beyond repair (and with me being a month out of warranty they couldnt do anything for that issue) but it didnt bother me at the time as I had the accessibility controls to lock the phone.

Now this has happened though I'm in trouble!

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Being one of the geniuses to whom you refer in your post, I can only suggest a fine adjustment with the tool below.

(I'm really sorry your phone is cocked up...I hope someone can come up with a better suggestion than mine, but I fear....:()

Attached Files:

5. raggdoll macrumors regular

Try blowing some compressed air in around around the centre button, it may "pop" it

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple can't do anything?

What happened to out of warranty replacement? $229.

7. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

And that's assuming that it's an iPhone 5... If it's an iPhone 4S, then the cost is less... In fact, I think if it's an iPhone 4, that's only $99. Not too bad if you asked me.

8. Mrbobb, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

I thought u were going to say, My GF dumped me, she was so mad she grabbed my phone and thew it at me, I was able to duck but the phone fell into the toilet, I immediately put it into the rice bag, but my Mother unknowingly cooked the rice and we all wondered why dinner tasted funny! :D

(Please do not withhold information!)

What model of iPhone? Why are you here instead of going to the doctor (warranty)? Have you taken apart anything on your life (DIY)?

9. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Here's here because he's seeking advice from others. Duh ;)

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm not sure what the end goal is. If you got it up and working, wouldn't the fact that the lock button is depressed constantly cause problems?

Have you tried resetting it by pressing the home button (for about 10 seconds)? Usually you would do that in addition to the lock button, but since yours is already depressed, I guess you don't need that part. Sometimes a reset works better when the iPhone is plugged into AC power at the same time.

You could restore the phone.

Just connect it to your computer and see what iTunes says.

If iTunes won't let you back it up first, maybe try using something like IExplorer to see if you can manually back it up.

If you don't care about whether you lose data or if you already have a recent back up, the procedure to force a restore is:

Plug in the dock cable to your computer with iTunes open. Press and hold the home button on your device and keep holding it while you connect it to the Dock cable. Wait until iTunes prompts you to restore the device. You will lose data this way, though.

Hopefully this advice is somewhat decent. I haven't done any of this myself and don't own an iPhone, but I did tech support for iPhones a long time ago.

11. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

As you mentioned though, eventually the sleep / wake button is going to mess things up. OP has to figure a way to get the button to pop up.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Respectfully, the problem is as MrMacMack has stated, the OP needs to find a way to get the lock button to pop back up. It's always depressed.

Your suggestions are decent but flawed. The flaw is the fact that the OP would be performing all of these actions with the power button held down. It's pretty impossible to do anything that way.

Whatever phone you use, since you mentioned you do not use an iPhone, press and hold your power button in then try to use your phone normally while you keep holding it down. You'll probably quickly realize the predicament that the OP is in.