A SERIOUS Question about iPhone 4S Competition...Can someone help me please?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kflik, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Kflik macrumors member

All of this iPhone 4S talk kind of got me looking around at other available phones or soon to be available phones.

I probably won't leave Apple (been with them since the release of the first iPhone) but is there anyone out there that could point me to a direction to a possible upcoming competitor to the iPhone 4s. I am very ignorant when it comes to any other device other than an iPhone.

I DO remember reading about that Phone in japan. NEC made it. The Medias I believe. I know its the thinnest phone in the world, waterproof, 4" screen etc..but when I googled it I can only find info from like April. No New updates...engadget just had a small write up how it might come to Verizon. How isn't this a bigger deal?

Any information would help!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The main competitor/s to the 4S is the Samsung Galaxy S II and the upcoming Galaxy S III and Nexus Prime, which are all made by Samsung.

I have the Galaxy S II right now, and as awesome of a phone as it is, I actually prefer iOS over Android enough to the point that the 4S is going to be my next phone, even with the same screen size as before. The large screen on the SGSII was just a tad big (I was really hoping for a 4" screen) for my smallish hands so going back to the smaller screen might actually be a bit more comfortable for me, and I do miss the resolution of the retina display.

But anyway, if you are going to choose from Apple's competitors, Samsung would probably my pick, whether it's an Android device or even any new WP7 devices coming in the future.

3. Kflik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information!

I am not sure if I should check out the competition or hop on and order a new iPhone 4S.

I am worried about the Android operating system not being as fluid and nice to operate as the iOS 5 will be. Also I have an iPad and iMac and I know the new iPhone will be nice because all of the products work very well together.

I am just wondering why the phone took so long to come out? No one really has an explanation for the extra 3 months when the design did not change at all..I think there is something more behind that (maybe samsung was going to sue due to the iPhone 5 looking to much alike??)

ANYWAY does anyone know anything about that NEC phone coming to verizon? How isn't there more talk...its the thinnest phone in the world, big screen, water proof? Am I missing something here...

Thanks again though!

4. caf9128 macrumors member

The Nexus Prime is rumored to have a screen resolution equivalent to the iPhone retina display (but then again, the new iPhone was rumored to be significant). The Prime is also rumored to have a bigger screen in a not so big form factor. Plus an NFC chip. Plus a replaceable battery and an micro SD slot. So nicely equipped. Time will tell, but advance information on these phones is usually pretty good, unlike the iPhone (obviously).

I do know one thing. If you get a pure Google phone, the upgrades are happening about 2 to 3 times as often as iOS. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a carrier-modified Android phone; the pure Android phones are much simpler to deal with.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you cool with hacking your android? Depending on the carrier, etc., you may have to do so to get things like the netflix app*, the latest updates, better battery, etc.

*the netflix app is coming out for android, but it's limited to certain phones right now.

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Netflix app is available for any handset running 2.2 and up devices...which would obviously include any new handset. Please only post facts

OP, you're only doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out all of your options before spending your money.

7. MacCurry macrumors 6502

The Nexus Prime is the ONLY Android competitor that is supported by Google for the updates. Even though it will be available from a particular carrier subsidized, it comes unlocked and will be a true world phone. With the Nexus series, you don't need to hack or modify the ROM and you will get updates directly from Google. Further, it is the only one that will provide you the best overall experience outside of Apple.

The drawback is that the Nexus Prime will be quickly superseded by other Android phones with better specifications which may be hard to resist once the others have Ice Cream Sandwich. The Android user is typically seduced by specs and not overall experience.