a shared "to-do" list that syncs with all my macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shecky, Nov 15, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

(note: putting this here as it is more about the mac and less about the iPhone)

at our design studio we are desperately trying to find some way to have a shared + synced to-do list.

we really want something that works the same way that iCal does when integrated with MobileMe: any change made on any device is pushed to all devices.

I know about some web-based things like Backpack, but we need something that allows for offline access. So in general i would say what we need is:

- automatic push/polling sync
    - automatic update across computers and iphones
    - 100% offline access for computers and iphones

is there a solution out there? i keep hoping something like this will come to MobileMe, but to date nothing has yet.

thanks for any ideas.

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Well, almost.

Things (culturedcode.com) has to-do syncing across multiple macs on their agenda for the 1.0 release. They also have an (excellent) iPhone application that syncs with the Mac program.

Finally, Things can integrate with calender store, so it puts all your to-dos into iCal (and therefore OS X will handle MobileMe).

AppleMatt

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

ahhhhhhhhhhh i did not know Things was planning on that. i use it now on my mac and iPhone.

cool. that may be the solution i need.

4. PrinceAlexander macrumors member

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I thought I'd add my own experience with Things, and perhaps get some assistance in the process.

I have things for my iPod Touch (1st gen, 16 GB). It works well. I've also been working with Things on my iMac. HOWEVER, I have not been able to get Things on my Mac to find Things on my iPod, despite the fact that they are connected to home wireless network.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but if my experience is anything to go by, it'd be worth testing it out before you commit to anything.

Thoughts on a solution, anyone?

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Disable your firewall briefly and see if that remedies it? Quit Things and delete the preference file. Email the developers. Three things I'd quickly try.

AppleMatt

6. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

just an update on this for anyone who cares;

we decided (for now) to just use Google Docs. since they recently added offline capability our task list is always available to us, and it is also available to see via iPhone (tho not to edit).

as much as i was OK with Things, my partner is more of a "giant list" kind of person so Things would have put her into a format that she would not have been happy with.

considering other than provider outages i am literally never not online (between my studio, iphone, etc..) maybe a web based solution is the right way to go - Basecamp, etc.. there is just something about a native app that i prefer for some reason.