A short text I wrote: What to do when getting a new used Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garirry, Oct 7, 2015.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago, I wrote a short text that is made specifically to guide people who bought a used Mac to clean it, repair it, and make it almost brand new. There could be a few things that are missing or wrong, but here's the text:
    Tell me what you think and what there is to improve if there is anything. :)

2. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Seems pretty complete. If an order is implied, I'd move cleaning closer to the top. I've seen some pretty nasty used computers. Keyboards in general are disgusting.

[​IMG]

3. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Id Just like to point out that Some later releases of OS X will run faster then older OS X releases of OS X on the same hardware for example Lion was a quite a hog, I have a late 2006 blackbook that runs mountain lion much better then it does Lion... or for example 10.4 is faster on my G3 beige then 10.2 on the same machine (or 10.1 for that matter) the early OS X releases are quite slow, speed started to get good in 10.2 and peaked at 10.4 before leopard and its eye candy galore LOL

4. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Cleaning should be nearly the first thing you do, and very important to remove the PSU and clean it out. Being in the bottom of the case is the worst place, they suck up floor dust and lint, and are sometimes 95% clogged with dust bunnies. Taking them out is a pain, but necessary.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

One comment I'll add with regard to not running an older OS than the most current one it will run:

There are situations where running an older OS is preferable or possibly necessary. A good example is if one needs to run OS 9 programs on a G5-in this case, Tiger(or earlier) is mandatory as Leopard dropped support for Classic mode. Similarly, if one wants to run PPC programs on an Intel Mac, Snow Leopard or earlier is mandatory for Rosetta.

6. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Hello, I updated the text. Here's the new version. Thanks for your comments.

7. Eugen Mezei macrumors member

One of the first things I do after getting a computer to run is to contact the previous owner (most often they left their emails too) and ask if they are interested to send them their data. (One wonders about what lies on the harddisks. Begining with family photos, some of the more intimate nature, to emails, work and school papers up to sensible data like contracts and bank data.)
    'The reactions are unpredictible, from polite and thankfull to angry.
    (Btw, I do the same with pictures from cameras, being digital or with forgotten film in them. A bit harder to find out contact data of the former owner.)