A Show on Hulu

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Disc Golfer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to watch a show on hulu.com on a mac all the way through without the system pinwheeling repeatedly? I just tried to watch the most recent episode of House M.D. on my mpb 13" 2.53 w/ 4 gb ram and could only get about halfway through the show before running into trouble. I've had the same problem watching Quantum Leap. I would like to connect this computer to my television but am afraid it's not worth the money for the cable if this pro mac can't do streaming video. Am I doing something wrong or is it the computer? My $300 acer has no issue..

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I have no problem watching videos on hulu, and I have the 2.26 GHz MBP.

3. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Hell if I know. Try restarting it and then watching your show again.

Maybe it's your ISP.

5. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't think at first that it was my isp causing my laptop to pinwheel, I mean, internet speed isn't the same as computer speed right? Also the crap walmart laptop does it fine, it's on the same network with the same isp, and I got this one with the hope I wouldn't have to restart for stuff like this a bunch. I would call them up and have them watch a show halfway through with me to reproduce the problem in the wild hope of convincing them I'm having issues with this computer but I only seem to use the thing after 6 pm, which is the ridiculous time apple support stops taking phone calls. :confused:

Though really, having to restart when I want to watch video? What century is this?

6. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortunately I got to spend two whole hours on the phone with applecare and they didn't charge me any money! They didn't fix my problem however, and now it's worse to the point where I can't use the mbp anymore. I'm back to my powerbook. Again. Thank you apple, for convincing me computers were a fad of the 90s/00s. This will be my last computer, ever.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Maybe something in the OS has corrupted.

Why don't you just back up your data and do a clean install on the MBP? I don't mean migrate your data/settings/etc over from Time Machine- I mean that after you have performed a clean install of Snow Leopard on your MBP (or Leopard if you are still using it), you should just manually transfer your music/docs/movies/photos/etc. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. When I got my MBP, that's pretty much what I did: I manually transferred my data over from my MB, and calibrated all of the MBP's settings to the way I like them.

Start again from a fresh point, and see if everything plays nice.

I doubt it'll be your last computer ever. Dramatic much?:D

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I have a 1.6GHz Mini connected to a 1080p TV and I have no problems watching shows on Hulu - it's surprisingly good quality.

There's something else going on - you need to check what's happening in your system when you get the pin wheels. Check activity monitor when it happens.

9. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your consistent responses to what amounts to me complaining about this computer. I've backed my data up, what basically amounts to my photographs of the past eight years. I've been decreasing my reliance on / interest in technological products pretty steadily for about a decade and after my recent experiences with this piece of machinery I've decided to wean them from my life more or less entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to see others make similar decisions in the decade to come. It's too much of a hassle, too much time and money with too little reward. I'm not going to check my activity monitor / reboot / boot from disc and run utilities / etc just to be able to use a basic piece of consumer grade technology. It's been too long, I've been having the same problems for fifteen years, the same reason I gave up on windows pcs. If they were going to get it right it would have happened by now. I'd rather worry about the chickens and the crops than the pointless computer for the rest of my life.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

You act as if every MacBook Pro acts the way your does. Well, they don't. Mine works perfectly. Clearly, there is something wrong with your particular MBP. I'd chalk it up to bad luck. Sometimes, things need to be fixed.

The amount of time/work that it would take to do a clean install is very small. It would require you to click a few buttons, and then wait while the install occurs.

And then, your MBP would probably work as it should.

But, if you choose to have a $1,500 paper-weight, that's your business.

If you're not using your MBP anymore, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and give it a good home. :D

11. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have enough posts to qualify for marketplace otherwise I'd consider it.

Do you really think that it's a bad coincidence that near every computer I've dealt with since '95 (and before that, but I cared less) has been a PITA, and similarly so? Or is it just that computers require more attention than I feel they should?

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I guess it would depend on the computer, but yeah, I'd say you've had bad luck.

My computer history:
    I had an Apple ][e back in 1983 (I was 7), I recall an Atari computer in there somewhere, and a MacIntosh Classic II in the 90's. All of those worked great. Then, I got a Compaq Presario laptop. The Compaq was a dud, and it only lasted me a year. Blue screens, crashing, it was a mess. After that, I got an iBook G3, the iBook G4, a MacBook, and now a MacBook Pro. All of these have worked great.

Of all of those computers, I only had problems with one of them.

I don't think that computers need more attention than you think. I'm not really sure what you even mean by that.

I don't know what to tell you, dude. Do a clean install, and start again from the beginning. I think that's a good solution.:cool:

13. Disc Golfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean, buying a computer is like buying a classic car. It's a fun ride, but only if you know how to work on it. Except it's not a 50 year old car, it's a few weeks old piece of electronics, and I don't feel like I should be a total geek on it or constantly having to tinker with it just to get it to start up and run right.

I've got my backup finished (finally!) and I will be doing that in the morning. I guess I can't fun around with my brother in law who is always having to reinstall his windows OS anymore huh.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not a total geek on it (I just spend too much time chillin' in these forums:p) and I don't have to tinker with it just to get it to start up. It just works for me. I've never had to do a backup and reinstall the OS.

"One time by you" versus "always having to reinstall" aren't the same thing.

You can still bug him......:D

15. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I thought I would post in this thread...I notice slight lag when I click on something in my browser, and Hulu/league pass/etc is playing a video. It stutters in tune with my click.

And I have an iMac 27 i7/2tb/8gb ram. Is there something we need to do to optimize video to get it to run smoothly?

16. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

What browser are you using? If you are using Safari, I suggest that you try using Firefox or Chrome and see if you are still having problems.