A sign of plans for a new Mac mini soon?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by macmikemac, Sep 16, 2017.

1. macmikemac macrumors newbie

I've been browsing Apple's listing of refurbished Mac minis for a while. Then just after the recent Apple event announcing iPhone X, etc., Apple is mysteriously "sold out" of refurbished minis.

Could this be a sign of plans for a new Mac mini?

There's no obvious link and it's probably just my wishful thinking. But I do find it odd that Apple would so suddenly "sell out" of refurbished minis when there was a large range of them listed just a few days go...

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

It stirs the goat entrails with a stick.

Optimism is a lovely thing!

3. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

LOL, first the theory was that all the Mini's in the refurb store meant a new Mac Mini was coming. Now the lack of Mini's in the refurb store also means it's coming? Yeah, wishful thinking.

I would not read anything at all into that. A year ago I was in the market for a Mini and saw refurbs come and go on a daily basis, just like other models. Of course people offered the same theory that this meant a new Mini would be announced in 2016.

Another theory could be that the 2014 Mini is experiencing a lot of returns and failures. And the fact that there aren't any could mean that people were waiting to see if a new model would be released, so now they gave up and bought a refurb.

4. esk macrumors member

I don't think there will be a new mac mini in 2017. Maybe there will be a new mac mini in their March 2018 event.

5. krause734, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

The main options I see are
    1. Keep current Mini and wait (do you really need 4K @ 60hz?)
    2. Get an Intel NUC (if you can tolerate Windows)

6. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Main options for who? I don't see anyone in this thread stating they want a new Mini or explaining the reason why, just someone trying draw a conclusion about a release date based on the refurb store.

And why wouldn't an iMac or a laptop be an option? Without knowing the user needs and expectations, how can you reduce this to a binary choice? I wanted a new Mini last year and ended up getting a used 2012 2.6ghz quad. For my needs, it has been just about perfect.

7. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

OP is obviously interested in a new Mini. A laptop or all in one are not good options for someone that wants a Mini. An Intel NUC is ok if you don't mind Windows or current dated Mini is decent. This is what you chose. Nobody knows how long it will be before we see a new Mini. Could be March, could be never.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Likely scenario: Stocks accumulated as prospective buyers held off until the Apple event to see if a new mini was announced. It wasn't, so they then pulled the trigger on purchasing a refurb 2014 and the stock depleted.

9. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

I have a mid 2011 with ten gb of ram....its not broken...no need to replace it...works just fine.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I have a 2012 and a 2014 Mini. Realistically, my next computer will probably be an iMac. Why wouldn't that be a good choice for me? All my LCD screens are old and the iMac seems like a cost effective way to upgrade everything. Personally I doubt that a new Mini is coming, or that it would meet my needs if it is. But I'm not in any rush, my 2012 quad should be fine for another year at least. At that time I'll make a decision based on what Apple currently offers. My primary use is video/audio editing, not interested in Windows, it doesn't run Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro. Don't want a "science project" with a Hackintosh. I already have a Windows machine for some other specialized software.

But my point was that nobody has stated their needs here so I don't see how you could narrow it down to two options unless you were just talking about yourself. I certainly see more options for myself.

11. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Not to spoil the party, but we do know the world's population, right? It is possible that they were genuinely sold out, not pulled out. :D

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

13. midilance macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    I've been using a 2008 8-core Mac Pro for music production. My display is a 30" Apple Cinema display therefore an iMac would be redundancy of display. A Mac mini with a hopped up i7 processor with a minimum of 16 GB would do me just fine.

14. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Oh my, the tide is out. The world is ending. Oh my, the tide is in, the world is ending. LOL! In stock, out of stock, OMG!

15. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

i upgrade to base imac 2017. SSD will make nice loading just that.. other not worth.... Copy few gb between my hard drive and external 1 drive... wait no so long.. no need t5 samsung ssd.. If really 2 need that fast just for copy get gen2 usb 3 like western digital and at least get a egpu so can used between your new imac and mac mini.

16. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Sorry, I don't understand your point or how it relates to my post that you quoted....

17. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

it just simple.. What the point of you upgrading the mac mini at first place

My Reason
    1. hang and slow
    2. Lack Of ram

If you do video editing
    1. Still need more ram.. (16 GB ram maybe or max like other )
    2. Need to separate library to external and get those lot of file quick ( thunderbolt,usb 3 gen 2)
    3.You need good graphic card to process..(E-GPU)

What you really miss/may out...
    https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-leverage-multiple-Macs-during-Final-Cut-rendering

I do check it out because i sell my old mac mini 2014 300 dollar only.. He may do simple video editing but no need up to 1 grand imac to do the job he work.. just few layer.

18. Boyd01, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

As I said, my 2012 mini is completely living up to my expectations. The only software I run on it are Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion and Compressor. I have 16gb RAM and quad core 2.6ghz i7 processors. The original internal SSD has Mountain Lion and the legacy versions of Apple's software as well as other expensive legacy software - I don't use it much anymore. Sierra is on a 1tb USB 3.0 Samsung T3 SSD. It runs really smoothly for my use, which is currently editing aroud 300 hours of legacy 480i60 DV and 1080i60 HDV, most of which I am converting to 720p30. I also shoot 1080p30 and 1080p24 with a Sony XDCAM. Not interested in 4k video or 4k monitors at the present time.

Eventually I will want something more powerful but I can wait, the graphics chip is definitely the weak part on the 2012 Mini. But I just don't think Apple is going to release a Mini that checks the right boxes for me, if they release a new one at all. So I will wait and see, I don't need anything now. If I do need something and there isn't any Mini that I like, I would not hesitate to get an iMac.

Not going to switch to Windows just because Apple doesn't make my "dream Mini", that would make no sense for me. I choose my computers and software to accomplish specific tasks, not to brag about their specs or how cheap they are. ;)

19. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Sounds like you have pretty unique needs. I would wager the majority of people want 7th Gen Processors for 4K @ 60Hz, Fast SSD standard, and a respectable graphics in a desktop box. It's very simple. Supply and demand. If Apple won't offer it in a desktop box as a Mac Mini/Pro/Whatever, many will switch to Intel NUC's or other machines and many already have as I've noticed on this forum. They will not just settle for an overpriced iMac.

Choosing your own display is important to people (although the iMac has a nice display, it's not for everyone). I use a 60" TV and would never go back to an iMac that dies in a few years and you have to replace everything. It's just not cost effective IMO. Different Strokes for Different Folks :)

20. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

That's all fine, I wouldn't mind having it but don't need it today. And yes, my needs are pretty unique. If I just wanted to hang out on Facebook and watch 4k Youtube videos then I wouldn't care if it were a Mac or a PC either. :p

21. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

Nobody wants a new mini to brag about specs, we just want a mini that isn't a complete piece of totally worthless crap (2014 mini).

I wish they never released that garbage and just kept the 2012 in stock.

22. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

I do, but not bleeding edge specs. Just something that isn't Intel integrated crap graphics.

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Agreed. In fact somebody recently started a thread to that effect.