A simple iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBookWhooo, Apr 19, 2014.

1. MacBookWhooo macrumors newbie

MacBookWhooo

Do you prefer to organize your music files by yourself or let iTunes do it for you? Which is more easier when backing up those files?

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 10.19.17 AM.png

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I have iTunes organize it.i have all my settings like you do there and it makes it easy when adding music into my library. I dont have to worry about putting it somewhere I can just drag it into iTunes and it adds it into the music folder and it gets organized. Much easier than organizing it myself.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It is better to let iTunes organize the Library. If in the future you decide to move the Library it will be much easier to use if you let iTunes do it's thing.

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

For most people, letting iTunes organize files is easier.

However, folks like myself prefer not to have iTunes organize files because we use files from various sources. I use directories that reflect origin of files then folders within that represent the music collection (CD's as example). Others might organize strictly under Artist.

Example directories -

CD Converted to Apple Lossless
    iTunes music purchase
    iTunes audiobooks
    iTunes Movies and TV
    CD Audio Books
    Flac converted to Apple Lossless
    Misc MP3

As for ease of handling, it really isn't a big deal because I simply do "add to library" as I get new music after I put the file in the correct category. (I leave the copy files unchecked under preferences). Given that I store my files along with other media directories, I can differentiate rather quickly what belongs where. (I also have 96/24 flac files, 48/24 5.1 flac files etc.)

Again, for most people letting iTunes handle it all seems to be the easiest.

5. MacBookWhooo thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBookWhooo

Everyone, thank you all for replying. I agree with what you guys were telling me. Let iTunes organize everything. But an "organized" iTunes media folder is a bit confusing to those who wants to access the files using Finder and specially when using some of those files for Video Editing.

Another thing, is it possible to use an external hard drive for iTunes? Specifically for my songs.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, I know that it is. I don't know the exact steps, but you have to point iTunes to the other location.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

For any and all, go to iTunes preferences, go to advance and undo the checkbox for copying to iTunes folder and do the okay and close.

Next time around when you have music in another location, you can simply go to file in iTunes and do an "add to library." The catch is you want to make sure that the location (drive) remains hooked up to your system so iTunes can use the file. The nice thing about "add to library" is that you can have multiple sources to create one library this way.