A single folder crash. How do i recover files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmattres, Jan 6, 2012.

1. macmattres macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I know that everyone has problems with hard drive crashes but...
    A folder on my external hard drive crashes when I open it. It is just this folder as the rest of the drive still functions and I can still use the drive normally.
    When I 'Get Info', to check if there is anything in the folder it still has its contents. There is 407Gb in this folder.

Could it be that there is too much information for this folder to operate?

So..., is there a way to force open the folder or split the folder into more easily readable parts from the outside?

I have also tried to use some file recovery programs to recover these files from just this folder, but they only work on the entire drive.

Is there a program that can recover individual files from a selected folder? (not the whole drive)

Any help with this would be much appreciated

Kind regards,

Macmattres

2. simsaladimbamba

What does the "Sharing & Permissions" part in the GET INFO window say?
    Have repaired permissions yet?

Would you be able to use Terminal to navigate to the folder and copy / move some folders somewhere else?

3. macmattres thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for your reply,

The sharing and permissions are both read and write allowable.
    Im not very computer savvy, so going through the terminal is quite hard for me to navigate.

With the Terminal, I am trying to sift through my folder and maybe try and (arduously) pull the files out one at a time! But, I type "ls" and it displays only my Macs system folders, and not the external hard drive folders... Is there a way around this? Can I navigate to an external drive and still be able to look at the individual files in a folder on that drive?

Thank you!

4. simsaladimbamba