A Siri bug?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mattwolfmatt, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

When I ask Siri if I'm eligible for an iPhone upgrade, the weather channel app opens and gives me current temperature. This happens on multiple iPhones.

Anyone else? Any idea why?

2. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Yeah, that happened to me too. So I decided to delete The Weather Channel app and see what happens. I'm then told that I don't have any app called iPhone. After reinstalling the app the same 'bug' happens.

After trying variations on "am I eligible for an iPhone upgrade" I found that I could get the weather channel to open after asking as little as "eligible for iPhone."

Here's my guesses:
    1. The app's name as seen by the OS includes the word "iPhone" and Siri is mis-hearing "eligible" as "channel" and is helpfully opening The Weather Channel for you. I have no other apps with the word "channel" in it so…, maybe?

2. The Weather Channel has a little Siri joke arranged with Apple. When you ask if you're eligible for the upgrade, the app is letting you know what the weather is like so you can decide whether or not you want to go stand in line for the new iPhone. :)

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Siri could not answer this question. Beyond hay, who knows why that's the answer s/he gives.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Eligible has same number of syllables as Weather Channel and they sound similar. So that's why it opens that app. With no WC app installed, the next "hit" on a recognizable keyword is iPhone. No such app.

Siri isn't as bright as we sometimes believe. Keyword hits are what it does and it often gets it wrong. For a while, I would say "Send a text message to Christian" and I would get back a list of nearby churches. Pretty frustrating when driving.