A slightly amusing and positive story upgrading to a 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amro, Jul 1, 2009.

1. amro macrumors 6502

So, I'm one of the crazy folk who decided he wanted the contract free price 32G 3GS. Called AT&T premier on June 11th. Tracked it like everyone else, even though I'm on temporary assignment in the UK. Waited another week or so before a coworker brought it to me here in the UK.

Got the phone yesterday and wasn't sure which SIM card I should use. The phone had one in it and there was an external one. I decided I would call AT&T and find out which one I should activate with the phone (I used the one in my 3G).

While I looked online for a phone number, I noticed I had a $400 credit. So, after I asked customer support about the SIM card, I asked her about the $400 credit. As much as I liked that, I didn't want a surprise $400 bill later. She put me on hold and came back about 5 minutes later. I was pretty sure she was going to say that was a mistake. Instead, she told me something about a note on the credit being related to the iPhone upgrade price (Last I checked I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until this coming December). I tell her paid the full price so as not to extend my contract. She then checks to see when my contract is out and the computer says July, 2010. So, she's amused, I'm giggling and she says "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

At this point, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm still very sure they will change this, but there's nothing I can do about it. I switched to AT&T last year when the 3G came out, and have been very pleased with AT&T service especially with the horror stories I've heard. They've been good to me. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Interesting, so somehow in your case they also included the December-eligible people (well actually you) for the lowest subsidized price but not extend your contract, nice.

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well if nothing happens keep the credit on the account and you can use it to pay to cancel anytime you want.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It might take time for your upgrade date to change. I know when I did the early upgrade last year it took it 3-4 before my upgrade date changed.

5. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'll call in about a week to see if anything changed.