Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyfitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Hello MacRumors people,

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I did try to find it before deciding to post. Anyway, I've forked out for an i5 27" iMac (week 51 2009 build) and I'm happy to say that there are no problems at all with it...apart from one thing.

It's not a yellow screen; it's not a flickering screen, no, it's dodgy glitchy thumbnail icons in Finder! I'd love to know whether this is an iMac issue or something completely different. Check out the screenshot. It only happens in Finder windows in Icon view.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there a patch or something to fix it?

Attachments

• glitchy icons.jpg
    glitchy icons.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 434
Aug 26, 2008
That's odd. Is that an actual screen grab, using the capture method? If so, it could be the graphics card, as the white pixels would actually have to be in the frame buffer to be captured like that. No idea how it might be caused, but it couldn't be a physical defect with the panel.

andyfitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
The screenshot was captured using 'Grab'. I've also called Apple about this and the support guy told me to change the zoom in the Finder window. Here's the difference that makes (Attached screenshot shows full zoom on an icon). He also told me to delete some file that ended with .plist. I did this and there was no improvement in the situation.

By the way, I didn't mention in my original post that every time the Finder window detects a mouse click or scroll, the small white pixels shift around until you stop clicking or scrolling with the mouse! How bizarre!?!

Attachments

• glitchy icon large.jpg
    glitchy icon large.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 77

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Hi andyfitz, sorry to say so, but this is probably a big problem.

I've had the same on a pc once and if I can remember correctly it was a defective videocard or ram unit.

Make a backup in case your system crash and call applecare.

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Hello MacRumors people,

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I did try to find it before deciding to post. Anyway, I've forked out for an i5 27" iMac (week 51 2009 build) and I'm happy to say that there are no problems at all with it...apart from one thing.

It's not a yellow screen; it's not a flickering screen, no, it's dodgy glitchy thumbnail icons in Finder! I'd love to know whether this is an iMac issue or something completely different. Check out the screenshot. It only happens in Finder windows in Icon view.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there a patch or something to fix it?

This looks like it can only be a problem with the GPU. If possible, I would bring it into an Apple Store and let them sort it out. Just make sure you have an appointment before you go...

andyfitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
That makes sense...

I guess it's obviously something to do with the processing of graphics. What doesn't make any sense to me though is how absolutely EVERYTHING else looks fine. Even when, for example, I play CoD2 with all video setting whacked up to the max - 2560x1440 res, AA etc 4x, reflect everything, insane number of corpses, you get the picture... and it all runs so smoothly!

I will contact the Apple store, book an appointment and take it in (Even if it does weigh a ton)

Thanks for all your help so far. http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

andyfitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Delayed response!

I completely forgot to conclude this thread with the outcome, and whilst this thread is now ancient, I feel it's important for anyone else experiencing this issue to tell you my fix.

Anyway, a faulty GPU was reported by the Apple technicians. Luckily I still had plenty of time on my Apple Care warranty and it was replaced FoC. I'm happy to say that the dodgy looking icons issue is completely resolved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.