A sliver of hope / Sandy Bridge Mac Pro??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by d-m-a-x, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
  2. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    The only thing we know is Sandy-Bridge-E and EP are coming in Q4. That is it. There have ever only been a couple of legitimate rumours for the Mac Pro in the past 5 years.
  3. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    Considering the Q4 launch date, that means systems won't be available until next year (typically takes 1Q = 13 weeks to get systems ready to ship, so we're probably looking at Feb or March of 2012), so be patient if you can wait.

    Otherwise, you don't really have a choice. :p
  4. goMac macrumors 603

    Apr 15, 2004
    There will be a Sandy Bridge Mac Pro when Sandy Bridge is out.

    Annnnnd that's about it. :p
  5. puckhead193 macrumors G3


    May 25, 2004
    no offense but i hope your wrong in your time estimate. I need it sooner rather then later.. work starts next week :eek:
  6. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
    yup, i just saw that SB-E is delayed until q4. Wondering if i should join the rest of the sheep and get an imac. At the same time, i have 10 good reasons to get a Mac Pro - i just don't like the thought of being part of a dying breed
  7. derbothaus macrumors 601


    Jul 17, 2010
    Not a dying breed. No chips yet. Simple. We wait for Intel which was way better than waiting for Motorola:)
  8. goMac macrumors 603

    Apr 15, 2004
    Delayed? That's earlier than the initial release date of next year.
  9. nanofrog macrumors G4

    May 6, 2008
    There's plenty of information out there on the dates, including a few threads here in MR. So unfortunately, a CPU release of Q4 of this year is solid (multiple sources confirming it), and then there will be a delay before systems reach users' hands.

    We've seen Q3 2011 pushed to Q4 2011, then to Q1 2012, and back to Q4 2011.

    At least it ended up in the middle rather than stay at Q1 2012, or worse, pushed back even further. :p
  10. goMac macrumors 603

    Apr 15, 2004
    I'd say Apple waiting is a good indication they'll ship this year.

    ...along with whatever the last generation of ATI GPUs is. :p
  11. toxic macrumors 68000

    Nov 9, 2008
    then buy one now. 4-5 months of lost productivity won't make up for the minor speed improvement.

    and you get stuck with 10.7 :rolleyes:
  12. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
    oh actually meant q1 2012, but it looks like it back to q4 2011? need a compass for this...
    i remember waiting for motorolla
  13. goMac macrumors 603

    Apr 15, 2004
    Pretty sure it's still Q4 2011 as of right now.
  14. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2010
    If its for work just get a Mac Pro, make money now and sell it when the new Mac Pro -SB come out, or even lease one for 6month what ever. It is just a tool in the end!
  15. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
    my 2006 model works good enough. i can wait, just as long as there is something to wait for
  16. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2010
    You have a SSD in that 2006 yet?
  17. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
    no, im curious about that, and upping it to an 8 core cloverton from the core duo woodcrest that it is. I stopped upgrading because the ram is too expensive - ddr-2 667 mhz. I upped the video card and got a blu ray burner with the sata plugged into the board.
  18. isifoo macrumors newbie

    Feb 12, 2008
    My 2006 is dead

    Should I get the iMac instead of waiting for the 2011 MP?
    Everything is telling me wait for the MP
    but I need a workstation soon as I'm going to loss work if I don't have one
    Seriously, I don't know what to do..
    Did anybody send a note to Tim?
  19. blunti macrumors 6502a

    Mar 15, 2011
    Why don't you buy a 2010 3.33 hex and sell it once the new ones are out? You would probably "only" lose the tax...
  20. d-m-a-x thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 13, 2011
    MacBook Pro is a pretty decent workhorse. I bought a 2006 version from craigslist for $400 - and used it on a job for 3 months. I had a little table on the desk that brought it up to eye level and put a 24 monitor to the right of it. on the desk i had an extra keyboard and wacom tablet. It is good to have both, because i worked on my MP when i got home
  21. goMac macrumors 603

    Apr 15, 2004
    I really don't think Tim Cook is going to be like "OH THATS RIGHT! The Mac Pro! I totally forgot the new model in my car! I'll go get that to the factory."

    Seriously, they're working on it. Probably waiting for the new chips. It's not like the Mac Pro division has forgotten to come into work and no one has realized it.
  22. Jamooche macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2011
    I switched to Mac a few months ago with a MacBook Air i5. I plan on running this with my Dell 27" Display until the new Mac Pros come out. It's a lot slower, but I'm not a professional photographer, so I can get by.

    I tried to buy an iMac, but got another yellow screen (I got 4 in 2009), so waiting for the Pro really is the best option.
  23. johnnymg, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

    johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    If "work starts next week" and you're waiting for SB MP then you really need to reevaluate your business plan.

    SB MP's won't be delivered until sometime in early 2012.

  24. flatfoot macrumors 65816

    Aug 11, 2009
    If you're talking about back when we were waiting for a new G5, then it would have to be "...waiting for IBM". Motorola only supplied G4 CPUs.
  25. xgman macrumors 601


    Aug 6, 2007
    Blasphemy!!!! :D

Share This Page