A small bit of help with upgrading ios plox

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sheyar, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sheyar macrumors member

Hello, I'm attempting in upgrading my jailbroken iphone 3gs which is on firmware 3.1.3, and I have an older version of itunes. and I have my SHSH files for: 4.0/4.0.1. I want to upgrade to 4.0.1
    So basically what I'm going to do is to first edit my host files and add this to the end (74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com)
    Then put device in DFU mode and restore manually.
    My question is:
    What are the order of the steps I need to do? I meant, do I download the latest version of iTunes first? or do I do the things I listed then download the itunes latest version?

one more thing: I heard cydia is down or upgrading now, so shall I go ahead and jailbreak it after upgrading the iOS or will it crash or smth?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

3. Sheyar thread starter macrumors member

Yeah pal I got that all, have the iOs for 4.0.1 downloaded and I have all the steps figured out A BIG BIG THANK YOU TO APPLEJUICED.
    the thing I was asking about is do I download the iTunes 10 before I do anything or what? I'm worried that the version of iTunes I have will not be compatible with the 4.0.1 iOS, and that may cause me trouble is upgrading. and also worried that if I download itunes first and hook my device up to do the upgrading steps it won't recognize it since its on an older firmware. Thanks for the help tho

4. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

B0ll0xs...sorry dude early Monday morning here and didn't read your question properly!!

I don't think that you would require the latest version of iTunes {10} as most iDevices iOS were updated to iOS4.01 prior to the release of iTunes 10. Therefore the version of iTunes {i.e. 9.0.2 etc} that you have should be fine!

5. Sheyar thread starter macrumors member

It's all goood mate. thanks
    Was just looking thro youtube, I read alot of comments that it doesn't work with iTunes 10.
    I have itunes 9.0.2.25 anyone can help with what version of iTunes I need, and my previous question in my first and second post?

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There should be no problem with itunes 10. However, to upgrade to IOS 4 you need a minimum version of Itunes 9.2 or 9.2.1 . If you don't want to go to 10 then find a copy of 9.2.1.

7. Sheyar thread starter macrumors member

orrite, ill look for ituneas 9.2.1 but do download it before or after the steps of manually upgrading to 4.0.1?

8. Sheyar thread starter macrumors member

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

iTunes wont let you restore to 4.0.1 if you are not using 9.2.x.... so do it first

10. Sheyar thread starter macrumors member

thanks. Will it work with iTunes 10?

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

iTunes 10 works just fine. I just completed a restore the other day with it. All you need to do is:

1) Download and install itunes 10
    2) Make sure your hosts file is edited properly
    3) Connect iphone, open itunes, click on iphone
    4) Hold shift and click restore (option on a mac), find the firmware, and you are good to go.

Sorry if it seems simplistic, but it really is that easy.