A small concern...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blenks, Apr 9, 2008.

1. blenks macrumors newbie

I'm waiting on delivery of my first mac, I am getting the base level MacBook and I was wondering if there is an application pre-installed for word documents? This may be an incredibly stupid question but I couldn't find it on the apple store website and was wondering if I will need to buy office for Mac, Thanks in advance :)

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

TextEdit is compatible however very basic (macs equivalent of notepad).
    I would recommend AbiWord which is free and open source, theres openoffice as well however its kinda sucky on the mac. You also get a 30 day trial of Mac:Office (Microsoft Office for Mac) when you get the mac.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

You can also download a free 30day trial for iWork, which is quite nice if you don't need some of the specific things from Word. Now, admittedly, I have no idea what those specific things are, I just know that there are specific things missing.

4. blenks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies and the useful info! I'm so excited about it arriving I hadn't really thought about proper practical things :eek:

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

As others say, OS X comes with TextEdit, a simple word processor/text editor that can read/write a number of file types, including Word documents. Although it is simple, it has some very neat features (such as its typography)

I think it's a great app, and use it quite a bit (mainly for notes), but I also use NeoOffice a lot (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php). This is a free, open source office suite that's very compatibale with MS Office and I would say give that a try - powerful and it works!

6. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I second NeoOffice... Not only you got a whole office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint equivalent) but it's free ! Also it is very stable, not like MS Word '08...

Give it a try, it's free :).

7. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Why would he have to D/L it. Works comes with all macs as a 30 day trial. Using Pages in iworks will be a heck of a lot better than text edit. Also as some suggested
    Neo Office is available free of charge as a universal binary too! :rolleyes:

8. blenks thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow you guys have been great :) now I just can't wait for it to arrive so I can try these things out! Least I know where to come if I have any problems!

Sarah xx

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

What is interesting is, my Mom and I both bought brand new MacBook 2.4GHz last week, from the Apple store in NH. Neither one had any trial software on the default install. No Office 2004....no iWork.

I even had to return my MacBook and get another one (cursor key problem) and this didn't have any trial software on it either.

I thought I saw an option when I put in the Leopard reinstall DVD....but not sure.

Is Apple not installing trial software on the machines by default anymore?

-Kevin

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

11. dingster1 macrumors regular

Yeah I've had my MBP for about 2 weeks and no trials on mine either...??

12. blenks thread starter macrumors newbie

Luckily I have just been informed that my friend who recently got a MBP is willing to donate many software things etc. :) There is a catch, I have to make him my awesome brownies, but I believe this is a small price to pay lol

13. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Wow that's weird! Both my Mac and my BlackBook I( just got a mont ago have the trials in a folder properly named iWorks!

Wonder what's going at apple not to insure they are included, after all they do want more of out money!
    So I stand corrected! Atlest there's Neo Office! ;)