A small fix....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MalcolmJID, Jun 6, 2007.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

....what can I do?

Basically. The total amount in my bank account is <£10. A direct debit for my phone bill for £30 was supposed to go out on Tuesday (yesterday). BUT. I had £32 in my account, but bloody Merch.com only took out the money for an order I made on 12th May on Saturday morning. I didn't check my account to check.

You see, my mum kindly lent me £50 for petrol and to pay that bill, which I payed into my account on Friday....but then Merch.com took that money away from me on Saturday morning. And now I've had a letter from the bank saying that I've been charged £39 becuase they couldn't take the direct debit to pay for the phone bill, which will be "collected from your account on June 12th". But now, I have no income until the 27th of the month.

I have two basses for sale, but try as I might I can't sell them. I'd get bout £200 from sellin my basses. But noone is interested in them. It's my mum's birthday on the 13th, then its Fathers Day on the 17th. I have no money to get either of them presents. I think that's a poor way to repay their kindness (as my mum lent me £50 to sort out this bill, and my dad just paid £85 to fix my car for me).

I really don't know what to do. I have no other family members that could lend me money to sort it out. If i could just sell these basses!

I appreciate that none of you guys/gals could offer a real solution. Just tell me it will be ok :)

:(

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You're right I cannot offer a solution ... but it'll be ok.

The bank will take care of it in one of two very expensive ways ... bounce or overdraft. :eek:

It sort of sucks they don't use the old methods of beating people up over these things any more. ;)

And it wasn't smart to buy more crap when there was no money in the account.

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

But like I said, I bought the crap on 12th May. When there was money in. But silly me, once again, didn't check to see whether they'd taken it straight out.:rolleyes:

4. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, and because the account is one I started when I was 16, it's not a full, proper "current" account. So I have no overdraft facility.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Get Quicken or the like. Start keeping track of your finances. The balance shown at the ATM is not usually where your balance actually should be. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the future.

You overspent either way.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is the most important point... there are only two solutions to it; spend less and earn more. If you're old enough to work, are there better options you can explore than selling things you have? You presumably don't have infinite assets, so there is a limit to how many times you can get yourself out of a pinch by selling your possessions. Can you move to a higher paying form of work? And more importantly, what are your variable costs and how can you reduce them?

7. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

The selling of the basses isn't a desperate measure, they were for sale anyway. I've just spent money whilst presuming that I'd be able to sell the basses on quick, and now I've gone and snookered myself. Silly meeeee :( :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm puttin in a about 15 hours overtime at work (it's only a part time job whilst I'm still in college), which will appear on this months wage, which will of course help, but that's still on the 27th. Long wait yet.

And silly me, I keep spending money money money in my own shop. I turn up to work and buy junk all the time. Even with the staff discount I end up spending loads. I think I spent about £40 in a few days in my shop, mainly on ****. Although theres about £20 of alcohol in there.:rolleyes: