A Snow Leopard box set?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glasserp, Jan 11, 2009.

1. glasserp macrumors regular

With Apple's plan to release Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09 as a box set for a price of $169, does anyone think they would do the same with Snow Leopard? If so I would buy it instantly. It makes sense that they would...

2. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I hope so! I would also buy it instantly! But I'll probably end up buying them separately. :(

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

It's quite likely - although maybe they are partly doing this to sell more copies of Leopard before SL is released.

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Has Apple done the box set thing before? (excuse my ignorance, I made the switch to Macs right before Leopard came out) I would buy it if they did come out with a Snow Leopard box set, but only if it was within a month or 2 of the release of Leopard, rather than as late in the OS cycle like the Leopard box set. I mean why didn't they ever do this with Leopard+iLife 08+iWork 08? Did they just think of this idea or just figure it was a good idea to boost sales of iLife 09 and iWork 09?

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

They are doing it because '09 requires Leopard, and a lot of the install base doesn't have Leopard. It still has Tiger, and Apple plans to drop security updates on Tiger in a couple months when Snow Leopard releases.

The upgrade momentum is slowing in Mac land, so they have to do things like this box set.

Now is the time to hit them with a demand for five years of security updates on the OS!

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The upgrade momentum is slowing, so they should make it less of an incentive to upgrade?

Nice try derailing the thread, though.

I'd love a Snow Leopard Box Set. It depends on how well the Leopard one sells.

7. muldul macrumors 6502

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, exactly. Because just as Microsoft learned, the security of your products (and customers) is more important than the revenue you think it would cost you. You lose more from the bad PR and customer dissatisfaction.

Stand behind your products, Apple.

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I would probably buy the boxed set. The deciding factor would be what the difference between the boxed set and the stand alone Snow Leopard was. If it's a lot more to get a couple of programs that I would not likely use that much, the stand alone would make more sense.

Does anyone remember price differentials from last time?

10. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Do the Math

Ilife-79 +Iwork-79 = 158. Box with Leopard = 169, thus Leopard = 11

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It makes no sense they would. With the box set, it looks like they're trying to have an incentive for the 10.4 stragglers to upgrade. Plus, they get to clear out inventory of 10.5 install discs.

With 10.6 seeming like it's Intel only, keeping the 10.5 box set around when 10.6 comes means PPC users can upgrade to the latest software their hardware can run.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10.6 box set when the next iLife/iWork is out, shortly before 10.7 comes out.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. I highly doubt we'll see a box set with Snow Leopard until the next major release is around the corner.

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

They might do but it won't be as cheaply priced as the Leopard one..

14. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

I can't see them doing it. Three brand new bits of software (OK two, plus an OS!) for only $179. Surely they'd miss out on profit margins...

15. paduck macrumors 6502

I think they will let Snow Leopard stand alone for at least a little while to maximize profits with the early adopters. Then Apple can move to the boxed set later in the product life cycle - perhaps not as late as they have done so now with Leopard though.

What I would really like to see if the Snow Leopard Family Pack Monster Box Set. Talk about a product that is a price performer!

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'd like to point something out: Amazon has the Snow Leopard box set on pre order for $169/$229 (single user/family pack)

Amazon has the standalone iWork and iLife for $53.49/$79 each, and Snow Leopard upgrade for $29/$49.

So buying separately you would pay $135.98/$207.

17. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'd go for it if I wasn't eligible for the upgrade, and still, I'd wait for iWork and iLife 10' in the box set before I bought it.

18. thewinelake macrumors newbie

Good spot...

But that is an UPGRADE of Leopard to Snow Leopard. I'm currently on Tiger on one machine and Leopard on the other, so the family pack is still probably my best bet.

I doubt that the same economics will apply in the UK, but it does remind me of a pub I used to visit for lunch, where buying sausage and beans separately from a portion of chips/fries worked out cheaper than getting them all together...