A solution to sync files between mac and pc to a home server

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by milk242, Nov 21, 2008.

1. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I would like to build a home server that will allow me to sync folders between mac and pc clients. I don't mind building it and using various software as long as its stable. Any suggestions?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Buy the cheapest PC you can find and add a new large hard drive to it. $150-300 for the PC, $100 more for hard drive. Share a monitor with another computer - once it's all working, remove the monitor and leave the server running "headless."
    My preference would be for linux and Samba (SMB = server message block on Windows) as the operating system and sharing method. It's easy.
    But - Windows 2000 or XP or Vista should also work, if that is already installed and working.
    Software for syncing can be freeware on the Mac. Not sure about freeware on the PC.

3. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help but I was mostly looking for a file syncing and not just a backup solution. I ultimately found a program called unison which has cross platform support. Its not that easy for me to learn since its all command line but it seems pretty good.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli