A Somewhat Jammed Screw Hole on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tikthra, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Tikthra macrumors newbie

I've just finished up opening my Macbook Pro for the first time ever to do a couple of the most popular upgrades, maxing out my RAM and installing a lovely M4 SSD.

All went well apart from one issue I found on screwing the bottom back on. The middle screw on the USB/Ethernet/etc side wouldn't screw fully into place. There's miniscule bit of give on that side of the bottom when all the other screws are snugly in their sockets. It hardly even matters in practical terms; the bottom is fully secure and the screw isn't sticking out over the inlayed area of the bottom plate so there's no pressure on it or the socket when the Macbook is upright. But the internet is the land of perfectionists and none more-so than Mac users so here I am!

Now I've looked up a few threads here and elsewhere before posting this and I've come across a few possibilities; the locktite used to help the screws hold caking a little in the threads and preventing me from fully screwing the head down, the thread becoming worn. As I said this was the first time I ever removed the bottom and I was as careful removing the screws as humanly possible.

Any opinions would help, would a slightly smaller screw be an options (how would I go about finding such a thing?) and particularly if Apple would be able to repair it were I to go down that path and what, if any, costs that would involve. As I've no Apple Store nearby it would have to be via courier.

Anyways, this whole situation motivated me to finally join Mac Rumors after spending years gleefully lurking so at least something good's come from it!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did you insert the screw at the required 15 degree angle from vertical?

3. Tikthra thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I checked Apple diagrams and multiple video tutorials and ensured I had the right screwdrivers for the job before I even began. I suppose what makes it grate the most is just that; I feel I did more than my due diligence but I still ended up with a less that perfect end-product.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You might try swapping the stuck one with another location, perhaps the short one on the back (vertical screw in there :) )