Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm looking for a sound app that i can use to record sounds played by my Mac. for example, is there an app that will let me record an iTunes radio stream? or other stuff, like sounds and music from games?

i've had a bit of a look on version tracker, but it's hard to tell what app can do this without actually trying them out.

so if anyone knows an app that can do this, i would really appreciate you posting a link or something.:D

it would also be good if it is just a freeware/shareware app, like all the stuff you can just download from versiontracker.com:)

thanks.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: a sound app that can record internal sounds?

Originally posted by cb911
so if anyone knows an app that can do this, i would really appreciate you posting a link or something.:D

it would also be good if it is just a freeware/shareware app, like all the stuff you can just download from versiontracker.com:)

You can save the MP3 Radio streams from iTunes via some progs from Versiontracker. Try StreamRipper or ISA, Internet Stream Archiver.

Music from Apps and Games is more difficult. I am also looking for a possibility to record music from UAE :D because many songs are not avialable on the net...

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
thanks Stike. i'll have a look on versiontracker.com. at least now i know i can record the radio streams.:D

the game i want to record from is Messiah, i just want the theme/menu music. i'm going to install it on Win 98 in VPC (since i don't have Win 98 on my PC anymore).

anyone got any ideas of how to record game music from VPC? i guess i could always setup a line-out from my Mac and record via a line-in on my PC... this should work, shouldn't it?

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
i thought you meant the actual sounds of the circuitry and stuff...now that would be interesting...

so i was thinking about this experimental finnish band called "pan sonic" (fka panasonic until the attorneys got to them)...but that would be for another forum...

haha...

i've done it with the neat free protools that digidesign offered many years ago...but if you are looking to use the sounds the system makes...why don't you just find the source files and edit/convert them to fit your needs?

good luck...jv

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
it's not the system sounds, just the menu music from Messiah (the PC game). but if anyone's already got the Messiah theme music, that would be a real help..:D

also, can you post a link to digidesign protools, if it's stil available?

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
no...it's not available anymore...

you might try tracking down peak or cubase for a trial copy...i think you could do the same with either...

jv

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
thanks irmongoose, i didn't think of that. if i just put the Messiah CD in my TiBook i should be able to see all the files OK, shouldn't i? anyway, i'll give it a try.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
!

Here's how to do it:

Solution 1:

Hook up a tape player or audio recording device to ur Mac's sound out port, record the music or what ever u want to record to the tape, then hook up the tape player's audio out (usualy the headphone jack) to ur Mac's AUDO INPUT(if u have one), then use an audio recording app like SoundApp (i think thats what it's called, not sure if it can import audio though, WHOOPS! i forget) or search for one, just go to http://www.macgames.com (the site is download.com's mac page) Search for a sound recording app or the word record, it will search in OS 9 and OS X. :) or check out version tracker.

Solution 2:

Or you can hook up a two male ended stero cord (which is the wire similar to the end of a wire on earphones, but with the jack on both sides){YOU CAN GET ONE AT RADIO SHACK, they will know what you need) from your Mac's AUDIO OUT to your Mac's AUDIO IN (if u have one) then set the sound control pannel (prefrence pane in OS X) to recive sound from the built in AUDIO in PORT (or another audio in port your using a differnet one form a sound card or whatever) then open a sound recording app and record ur sound. Mac Addict had an article about the 2nd soulution. I remeber it! Hope it works well, I really do wish they would make an app that could do what u asked, but as far as I know they don't... GOOD LUCK!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.