A "sound" question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rtjstevens, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rtjstevens macrumors regular

I'm thinking that soon I'll buy a Mac laptop. Making the assumption that the sound chips in both the Macbook and MacPro will be as they are now (after next week) , has anyone any suggestions as to which may be the better buy? What I need to do is to convert my rather extensive LP collection to iTunes/CD - using a standard Linn Deck + Sugden amp (both UK made!), and although I already have a G5 iMac would prefer to use a laptop that can be directly connected to my Hi-Fi. I need the best hi-fi I can get.
    Thanks
    BW

RTJ

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

For your task, any Mac will do. Even your G5, which you can connect to your stereo with a standard 1/8 inch stereo cable.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Both are mediocre chips as found in many PC laptops. For best results, as in Windows, you'll need an external soundcard. The sky is your limit for what to get in that respect, but for optimum archive quality I prefer to import my analog material at 24/96 using a good interface.

I use a Mitchell Orbe in my living room but I bought a Sondek as a ripping deck, and have that hooked up to an RME Fireface via an all-Linn signal path.

Personally, for personal audio media for 'power users' I'd recommend a Windows machine due to the superior software availability for both ripping LP's and also playback.

4. Mr.Captain2000 macrumors newbie

interface

Considering you have the preamp you prefer, all you need is an interface that can deal with line-level signals. But then again it's true that the sky is the limit. Or you could do it dirt-cheap. I doubt your hi-fi set-up can give you the +4dB levels standard in most pro-equipment, but you will have no need for that provided cables between your preamp and the interface are kept reasonably short. I do not personally have experience with the apogee duet, but I heard great things about it and the Apogee stuff is great quality built for (and in a way by) Apple. It does seem to fit your bill. That is, if you would use your G5. (I certainly would). As for software, almost anything would do. Even Garageband. Or Logic Express. Or Audacity. Unless you plan to do dynamics editing. Of course, if your final target is mp3 or some other compressed format, all of this is perhaps a bit over the top. From your gear, I just kinda guess you don't care for mp3s, I could be wrong? Good luck!

By the way, Sesshi speaks of the RME Fireface, which is an excellent product (He does not say if he has a Ff400 or Ff800). I use the Ff400 with an iMac myself, but it's a much larger interface that I use for music production. (More simultaneous channels in and out of the computer). If only converting vinyl to digital, I would say it's excessive.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I use the 800 on all of my computers which are required to output quality audio. I use it also as the front-end to ultra-high-end DACs.

Personally, I think that vinyl from a decent deck deserves the highest reasonable levels of D/A at your disposal for archive and permanent transitional use.