A Speaker Minefield

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jophster, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jophster macrumors member

Hi All

So I have a stunning 27" iMac with which I do an awful lot of work related to audio and lets be frank, the speakers are mediocre at best.

I have a very small, admittedly pathetic budget of about £100 for speakers that try to conform a little style with some good sound.

Some of the options I have found include;

Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks II, Creative T40 IIs or the cheaper but lovely looking Logitech Z-5s.

Anyone suggest any others for me to look at or something to say about my choices?

Comments welcome!
    Thanks,
    Joe.

2. agbasher macrumors newbie

Speaker Minefield

How come you do not have any BOSE options on your short list?

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Probably price I would guess. Bose products are very expensive.

4. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Bose are very overpriced and do not give very much bang for the buck at all. It's just a name - you can get far better speakers for nearly half the cost they're offering.

Like you, OP, I have got a 27 inch iMac. I personally went for the M-audio Studiophile AV40s. They're bookshelf speakers and are built for those into high sound quality as opposed to appearance.

Have a look here http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/m-audio-studiophile-av/4505-7869_7-32381162.html

You'll find many excellent reviews on the web for these speakers and mine sound out of this world. I've currently got on some Thin Lizzy - Killer on the loose and it sound FANTASTIC! :D

Here's an article about Bose - it stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment!

http://audioreviewer.wordpress.com/2006/11/28/the-myth-of-bose/

5. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

There's quite a few people these days giving bose the wide birth. Possibly now a-days they seem a bit old fashion to; not quite the kudos of the likes of Bang & Olufsen, Niam, Bowers & Wilkins or LINN and there are a lot of similar computer speaker setups that do either the same or almost the same for a lot less money. Certainly asking the trendier younger people at work all they know of Bose is they make those noise reduction headphones..... but thats about it.

Although I'm waiting for the Days when Apple try to hijack yet another industry sector and present to the world the iBoomBoomBox.