A special topicname: Linux

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lumio, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Lumio macrumors member

Hey :)

I just decided to switch to Linux (Linux Mint). But I want to do that a little special way:

I want to have Linux and OS X (and maybe also Windows for Games). I'm waiting until I got my Snow Leopard and then I want to change it here.

The next thing: I want to be able, to run that OS X parition with Virtualbox or something like that (as Parallels does with BootCamp) - is there a way to do that?

Has anybody some experience with that? Thanks :)

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

There are lots of tutorials around about this. Like this one, for example.

I assume you mean that you want to run OS X inside VirtualBox under either Windows or Linux. This is not currently possible.

3. Lumio thread starter macrumors member

I thought it is... (CCC made it with Q, but only emulating)

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you know Linux is a variant of UNIX?

Do you know OSX is certified UNIX? The geeky things you want to do can be done on OSX, you just need to buy a Mac.

5. Jodlesx macrumors member

Just wanted to say that I have seen someone running Linux (I think it was Ubuntu), with Compiz/Beryl and that four-sided desktop 3D cube. Where he had OS X and Windows on each of their sides running in some sort of virtual environment. If it was fake/mockup I don't know:p

6. Lumio thread starter macrumors member

Wow... nice post :p I know all of that. But Linux != OSX and so ;)
    I'm not a noob.

@Jodlex ... thx :) I also thought it is working in some way, but I just want to know in which one :) so maybe I find out.

7. Lumio thread starter macrumors member

After I splitted the first partition for Linux and installed Ubuntu, I can't boot Windows XP anymore... it stops after the logo with Bluescreen "NO_BOOTABLE_DEVICE" or something like that... how to fix that?

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You sure?

9. Lumio thread starter macrumors member

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Which bootloader setup did you go with? (installed in MBR or installed at beginning of Linux partition?) For a multiboot with Windows it is usually best to put the bootloader at the beginning of the Linux partition and let Windows handle OS choice. There are many FAQs out there that describe how to do this, depending on which Linux distribution you use.

There are no virtualization programs that will run an unpatched copy of OS X (and that includes ones running on OS X). You will need to start with OSx86. There are many FAQs out there that describe how to do this as well (insanelymac.com is a good place to start).