A standard SSD might fit into a rMBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CausticPuppy, Oct 25, 2012.

1. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

According to iFixit, there's a nice big air gap around the SSD card. They were able to get a regular SSD (9mm) to fit in there but the bottom cover just barely wouldn't close.

It'll be interesting to see if one of the slimmer models (like the 7mm Crucial M4) fits in there... if so, all you need is an adapter cable. :D

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Or a Samsung 830! Man, that'd be neato, especially considering how cheap 3rd party SSDs are getting :)

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I saw this as well. I was wondering if they were possible considering a "fusion drive" for this model. I would definitely go for it.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That'd be a good alternative way to increase storage without having to get the chips from OWC :)

6. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

How long til adapters hit the market so we can use 3rd party SSD's in the 13" rMBP? Apple's price for a 512GB SSD upgrade is painful.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

it's a little premature don't you think? Perhaps it's not even possible to adapt. Or, they just never show up.

But it's promising I must say.

8. CausticPuppy thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you have to remove the SSD card in order to fit the new SSD drive, so you may not be able to use both. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 1TB platter drive along with the SSD in your 13" rmbp? But I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna happen.

Still, another reason I wouldn't feel about about ordering the base 128GB model.

9. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I think Apple's proprietary SSD connector has been around since the 15" rMBP. I would have expected adapters or 3rd party SSD's for the connector by now. This is forcing consumers to pay double for SSD drives from Apple. Don't care for this game on a component that should be easily upgradeable by consumers.

10. Ernest22 macrumors newbie

I think you have to eliminate the SSD cards to be able to fit the new SSD generate, so you may not be able to use both. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a 1TB plate generate along with the SSD in your 13" rmbp? But I'm fairly sure that ain't going to occur.