A station with a inbuilt fan to cool macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emjae21, Dec 24, 2009.

1. emjae21 macrumors newbie

Recently in april I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro and it runs extremely hot to the point it could almost burn! I was wondering if there was a station of some sort which I can place my laptop on with a fan under it that will blow cool air onto the base of the laptop. I don't need to link it up to anything other than a mouse (so lots of inputs wont be necessary).

Suggestions? Other brands?

Thanks

2. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Cool your MacBook

I recommend (software) CoolBook and smcFanControl. CoolBook can adjust the speed and voltage of the CPU. By underclocking and undervolting the CPU the temperature will go down. You can do this when it's running on battery only, when it's plugged in, or both. Underclocking and undervolting have a benefit of increasing battery life. smcFanControl allows you to control each fan in your notebook independently or together. The advantages of using software over your plan; cheaper, works while mobile, trial is free, faster to acquire, nothing to attach or set up. FYI, this was the solution I chose when dealing with the same problem. The downside of CoolBook is that you are slowing down your system. This means that on the occasion that you are doing non-linear video editing, playing Eve online, or Quake4 (you're doing something that expects performance) you'll want to have it do less underclocking. If you boot into another OS, you need to find similar pieces of software for it as well. I don't know if that is a consideration for you.