A Sticky on Using the Search Feature

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by aaron.lee2006, Apr 29, 2007.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Can we have one in every section?

The words Santa Rosa, wait, buy now, June 11, WWDC MacBook Updates are all killing me. I want to cry every time I see them. We need to have some way for people to realize we have a search button!!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Something to think about, but here are a couple of thoughts on the other side:

1. We try to not have too many stickies at the top of any one forum.

2. Would it actually work? I sincerely doubt that people who don't see the big "Search Forums" field at the top of every page would respond to a stickied thread. People don't really pay attention to the ones we do have. It's suggestion #1 in the sticky in sole sticky in the "Mac Basics and Help" forum.

3. Frankly, the search function sucks.

I'm not saying "no" to the suggestion, but it's certainly come up before and has not been acted upon. I'm just not sure if it would actually accomplish anything.

3. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Ok, so maybe a sticky is slightly drastic but honestly we need to do something because people are so oblivious. they think they are the only ones who have asked the question. Maybe we should make a big announcement on the subject or at least give the sticky a trial. Let's see if it works because I'm sure I am not the only being annoyed by the same question being asked over and over again.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If people don't read the avatar requirements then they wont read about the search function.:rolleyes:

5. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

We should at least try it.

If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.

6. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

1. How about a huge font when registering, SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST click on to agree...of course about as useful as asking a one year old not to say they are 18 on a pr0n site, lol?

Yes search sucks, but it sucks more when there is no link posted that I can find which tells you how to use the search function, more accurately, suggestions on how to get higher #'s of relevant hits.

For instance, since different forum software is often not the same for searching, how do I know which ways of searching will work and which won't; I can't remember all the possible permutations of different site software forum search features/options. Even vB allows the site Admn to change those options, enable or disable, change how it is displayed in a pull down menu (like of search on posts under keyword, I often forget to use the pull down menu to get 'search only thread titles...which maybe should be the *default* displayed choice???)

Can I use * for wildcard? Can I use logic operators, can I use quotes to quote a phrase? If I can use logical operators, just exactly how do I use them, what symbols are required or NOT available? Can I use AND or and :p ? + or - in front of the term/keyword or after?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe we should make the search button big and red.